The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is psychology?
The scientific study of behaviour, thought, and experience, and how they can be affected by physical, mental, social, and environmental factors
What are the major research areas of psychology?
- Biological/Physiological Psychology
- Cognitive Psychology; Perception; Cognitive Neuroscience
- Social Psychology; Personality Psychology; Cultural Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Clinical/Abnormal Psychology
What are the unifying themes of psychology?
- Use of empiricism, scientific method
- Importance of socio-historical context
- Recognition of multiple influences on behaviour
- The mind is adaptive
- Experience is subjective
- People are generally unaware of the influences on their behaviour
What is the biopsychosocial model?
The idea that behaviour is a product of biological, psychological, and socio-cultural factors, all of which can interact and influence one another
What is the scientific method?
A way of learning about the world through collecting observations, developing theories to explain them, and using theories to make predictions