World Politics Chapter One
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the League of Nations?
permanent international security organization formed after WW1. Succeeded by the UN.
- Dissolved in 1946.
- US did not participate.
What is the Treaty of Versailles?
- ended WW1 on June 28, 1919
- between the Allies and Germany
What is the Gold Standard?
monetary system between 1870 and 1914 where countries tied their currencies to gold at a legally fixed price
What is the Pax Britannica?
- "British Peace"
- century long period beginning with Napoleon's defeat in 1815 and ending with the start of WW1 in 1914
- Britain's economic and diplomatic influence contributed to economic openness and relative peace
What is sovereignty?
expectation that states have legal and political supremacy within territorial boundaries
What is mercantilism?
economic doctrine based on belief that military power and economic influence were complements; applied to colonial empires throughout 16th and 18th centuries. mercantilist policies favored the mother country over colonies and competitors.
- ex. Dutch East Indies Company & Hudson's Bay Company"wealth is power, and power is wealth" Thomas Hobbes
What is the Peace of Westphalia?
- ended the Thirty Years War in 1648
- created the modern state system
- included general recognition of the principles of sovereignty and nonintervention
What is the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)?
- military alliance created in 1949
- brought together the US, Canada, and Western Europe
- foundation of US bloc
- role today includes handling regional problems and developing a rapid reaction force.
What is the Bretton Woods System?
- economic order negotiated among allied nations in 1944
- commitment to relatively low barriers to international trade and investment
What is the Warsaw Pact?
- military alliance formed in 1955
- brought together the Soviet Union and its CW allies in Eastern Europe and elsewhere
dissolved in March 1991
What is decolonization?
process of shedding colonial possessions
rapid end of European empires in Africa, Asia and Caribbean between 1940s and 1960s
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview