The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the definition of failure to thrive?
- Weight <3rd percentile
- falls across 2 major percentile curves
- <80% of expected weight for height and age
- Investigations include:
- -FBC, blood smear, electrolytes, TFT, GH, IGF-1
- -bone age x-ray
- -chronic illnesses: CXR, CL-, ECG, coeliac screen, LFT
What are the clinical signs of FTT?
- SMALL KID
- Subcutaneous fat loss
- muscle atrophy
- lagging behind normal
- infection (recurrent)
How can you categorise FTT?
- Organic (10%)
- inadequate intake
- excessive consumption
- abnormal utilisation (metabolism)
- excessive output (IBD, celiac)
- Non-organic (90%)
- most common cause
- complex child-parent relationship. (child behaviours, stress poverty)
Management - multidisciplinary approach