The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
why do we measure body composition?
- -to know health risk
- -see stored energy
What is the body composed of?
- Muscle/connective tissue
2 human body components
what are they for?
FFM-fat free mass 1.1 --> 0%bf
FM-fat mass .9 --> 100%bf
measuring body density
2 kinds of body composition. purpose?
what are they best indicators of?
- hydrostatic weighing
- skin-fold test
- estimates density
good indicator of fat, bad for health
what is it best indicator of? why?
- good for health, bad for fat
- only measures your "size"
- weight divided by height
what do you do and what information can you get from/with a skin-fold test? how accurate?
- -measure skin thickness
- -subcutaneous layer
- -you can estimate the body's density and the percentage of fat
how would you generally go about a hydrostatic weighing? think about what kind of data you need
- age, height, weight, and residual volume.
- get the weight of the chair in the water, the temp/density of the water. you take his water weight subtracted by the chair weight, for his actual weight in water.
- You need the density of the water, his in water weight, his outside water weight, and his residual volume to get his body fat %, to get his FM and FFM
Healthy body fat comp for men? women?
- Menlow 5% norm 15% high 25%
- Womenlow 12% norm 23% high 32%
Healthy BMI for all
- low <18.5
- normal 18.5-24.9
- elevated 25-29.9
- high over 30
how do you get the body's density and fat % with the skin-fold test?
take the average of the 7 areas and age to put into equation
take that density to put into % bf equation