Week 1 Lec 2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Hearing what the client has to say.
- Takes a lot of practice.
- Nonverberal cues of the nurse are especially important in conveying a listening attitude.
- Not natural.
What is physical attending
What is SOLER
- S- face the person squarely
- O- adopt an open posture
- L- lean toward the other person
- E- keep good eye contact
- R- try to be relaxed
What is psychological attending
- Thinking about what the client is saying as well as feeling he is trying to convey.
- Try not to let you mind wonder.
- Allows the client and nurse time to think.
- It gives the nurse an opurtunity to observe the client closely.
- It invite a response from the client.
A factual report of something in our physical world coneveyed through one or more of our senses.
Disadvantages of observations
- It takes time.
- It can take place only in the present.
- We see what we want to see.
- It is not possible to obsevere every action.
Open ended or indirect questions are
Encourage description and elaboration
Closed or direct questsions
Useful when specific information is needed
contain a suggestion, the answer is implied
Seekin to make clear that which is vague or not meaningful.
Restatement or paraphrasing
- Putting into your own words what you think the client is saying.
- Permits validation.
Reflection of content
- Repeating the client words as he says them.
- Use sparingly.
Refleton of feeling
Idenify and reflect back the feeling that the client seemed to express.
A brief review of of the content and feelings discussed during and interaction.
Allows client to choose topic of discussion.
Offering a general lead
- Encourage the client to continue.
- Go on.
- Tell me more.
Things to avoid in communication
- Avoid unnecessarily change of subject.
- Avoid false reassurance.
- Avoid making judgmental comments.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview