The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
A heritable factor
that consists of a length of DNA
and controls or influences
a specific characteristic.
- Differ how?
- Formed by?
- An allele is an alternative form of a gene, located on a specific position on a specific chromosome.
- Variation in bases.
- Formed by mutation.
- 2 types - dominant and recessive.
Define: Dominant Allele
An allele that produces the same phenotype
whether its paired allele is identical or different.
Define: Recessive Allele
An allele that produces the same phenotype only
when its paired allele is identical.
Define: The Human Genome Project (HGP)
- start + finish
An international effort to:
- 1. discover the complete set of human genes
- 2. make them accessible for further biological study
- 3. determine the complete sequence of DNA bases in the human genome
> 1990 - 2003
List: Pros of HGP
- Creation of effective drugs
- Research towards medical treatement
- Commercial success
- Understanding of evolution and DNA
List: Cons of HGP
- Ethical issues e.g. genetic modification
- Suspect real world application
- Privacy issues --> gene info shared with gov. agencies + orgs = determiners for treatment e.g. insurance
- Commercialisation of vaccines
Define: Gene locus (p. loci)
A gene locus is the specific position of a gene
on a chromosome.
Define: A gene mutation
A gene mutation is a change in the base sequence of a gene.