stages of clay
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
clay that is very soft, wet and workable. Clay can be rolled, shaped, molded at this stage
- clay that has dried slightly from the plastic stage. Clay can be joined (score/slip) but has
- become a bit too fragile to bend and shape at lot. Good for surface decoration too
- clay that has completely dried out, but has not been fired yet. It is extremely fragile and little or
- nothing can be done to the clay. Clay is ready to be fired in the kiln
- Clay in the plastic, leather hard and bone dry stages are known as Greenware.
- refers to any clay that is unfired.
- The stages below are after clay has been fired
- clay objects that have been fired one time, typically fired to Cone 02/04 or around 1900
- degrees at slow speed. Moisture and gasses are taken out of the clay body. At this stage, clay is ready to
- be stained, painted or glazed
clay that has been applied with glaze or underglazes and then fired a second time
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview