The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is a major diagnostic used in camelids?
- response to treatment after shotgun therapy
- Ivermectin, Zinc Supplementation, +/- antibiotics, +/- antiinflammatories
What species of ringworm affect camelids? (2)
[very rare in camelids] Trichophyton, Microsporum canis
What lesions are associated with ringworm in camelids? (5)
facial lesions!, alopecia, crusting, scaling, erythema
How is ringworm treated in camelids? (5)
debulk, betadine scrub, topical iodine tincture, sodium hypochlorite, sodium iodide IV (this more common in sheep and goats)
What is the treatment for lice in camelids? (2)
- topical powders- sucking or biting lice
- ivermectin, dectomax- sucking lice
What types of mange affect camelids? (4)
- Chorioptic mange
- Sarcoptic mange
- Psoroptic mange
- Demodectic mange
Clinical signs of mange in camelids. (5)
alopecia, hyperkeratosis, scaling, pruritus (more with sarcoptic), pain (more with sarcoptic)
You need to do deeper skin scrapings to find __________ mange.
What are predilection sites for mange? (8)
b/w toes, inside thighs, abdomen, axilla, beneath tail, prepuce, udder, +/- generalized
Describe unique characteristics of sarcoptic mange.
mites burrow deep into epidermis--> pruritus, pain, use deep scrapes to diagnose
What is the treatment for sarcoptic mange? (2)
ivermectin or dectomax
Describe the unique characteristics of chorioptic mange.
surface dwelling mite--> may be an incidental finding, doesn't always cause clinical signs, no pruritus, can be found wit superficial scrape
What is the treatment for chorioptic mange? (4)
topical ivermectin is better, lime sulfur ointment, permectrin (permethrin) spray, frontline (fipronil) spray
With which mange mite do you have to treat the environment?
What are the possible etiologies of zinc-responsive dermatosis? (3)
absolute dietary deficiency of zinc, poor absorption from intestine, intestinal binding with calcium
What are clinical signs of zinc responsive dermatosis? (5)
hyperkeratosis, alopecia, dermal thickening, scaling, hyperpigmentation
__________ animals are predisposed to zinc responsive dermatitis.
What is the diagnosis and treatment of zinc responsive dermatosis?
- plasma zinc low, skin biopsy
- zinc supplementation
What is munge?
- idiopathic nasal/ perioral hyperkeratotis dermatosis of crias
- maybe immune deficiency or stress?
What are the signs and locations of munge?
- hyperkeratosis, epidermal degeneration, seropurulent crusts
- paranasal, perioral, bridge of nose, periocular, periaural
What is the treatment of munge? (4)
- clean with Nolvasan scrub, apply triple antibiotic ointment/ hydrocortisone ointment
- if very severe, systemic antibiotics (Naxcel, Nuflor)