Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Numbered sections of a document. The unamended Constitution is divided into seven articles.
Basic principle that government and those who govern must obey the law; the rule of law.
Rule of Law
Concept that holds that government and its officers are always subject to the law.
Seperation of Powers
- The seperation of powers means that the three branches of government
- are being seperated. The Executive, Judicial, and Legislative branches
- must be seperate to give them all equal control.
Checks and Balances
- Checks and balances are part of the U.S. government. Each part of the
- government, has a certain amount of power. Those parts will check each
- other out. They will make sure everything is running smooth.
The power of a president to reject a bill passed by the legislature and thus prevent or delay its enactment into law.
- Judicial review is a democratic practice that allows for invalidation,
- by the judiciary, of executive and legislative acts. This is the
- concept that allows, for example, the Supreme Court of the United
- States to annul a law that it finds to be incompatible with the
Not in accord with the principles set forth in the Constitution of the United States.
A system of government in which power is divided between a central authority and constituent political units.
The process of formally altering or adding to the Constitution.
A formal amendment to the constitution is when the people vote when we don't want the government to change the constitution.
Bill of Rights
The first ten amendments of the United States Constitution.
An 'Informal Amendment' is a change to the meaning or interpretation of the constitution of the United States.
- An agreement made between the executive
- branch of the U.S. government and a foreign government without
- ratification by the Senate.
A formal agreement between two or more states, as in reference to terms of peace or trade.
A body of electors chosen to elect the President and Vice President of the United States.
- The president will meet with the senior U.S. Senator, of his party, to
- seek advice before nominating anyone to a federal vacancy in that
- senators given state.
- A group of officials assembled by the government that generally
- represents the executive branch of government. They are the council of
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview