Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- There is no magic pill for nutrition
- Calorie restriction diets don't work long term
- Continues to increase!
- 1800- 35
- 1900- 47
- better medicines
- early detections
- healthier living and eating
Causes of Death
- • Heart disease
- • Iatrogenic disease
- • Cancer
Iatrogenesis, or an iatrogenic artifact, is an inadvertent adverse effect or complication resulting from medical treatment or advice. Iatrogenesis can also result from complementary and alternative medicine treatments.
anti-aging tips: Norman Shealy, MD
- dont smoke
- drink alcohol moderately
- avoid street drugs
- foster positive relationships
Importance of Primary food
- • Make sure to always get your daily dose of vitamin P.
- • Primary food is the secret ingredient of life expectancy.
Top 10 Weight loss Tips
- 1. Drink more water
- 2. Eat real Carbs
- 3. Choose Healthy Fats
- 4. Emphasise Lean Protein
- 5. Eat Breakfast
- 6. Eat more frequently
- 7. Exercise your body and mind
- 8. sleep
- 9. Learn to cook
- 10. Track what you eat
When it comes to weight management, balance is key – you have to balance calories in with calories out.
WHAT IS A CALORIE?
A calorie is a unit of energy supplied by food. No matter the source - carbohydrates, fats, proteins, or sugars – a calorie is a calorie.
Calories per gram?
Foods are a combination of the three “macronutrient building blocks” - if you know how many of each is in a given food, you can calculate the calories (or energy) that a food contains.
- fat - 9 calories per gram
- carb- 4 calories per gram
- protein- 4 calories per gram
Why is calorie counting dif cult to regulate?
- The bottom line is that the amount of calories ingested does not necessarily equal the amount of calories that are digested or absorbed.
- raw vs. cooked-How food is cooked or prepared affects the digestion of the nutrients. The more something is cooked, the more calories are available for digestion.
- whole vs. processed-Processed foods are basically “pre-digested” forms of food. They are already broken down and the nutrients are more readily available.
- digestibility of fiber- 3. DIGESTIBILITY OF FIBER
- Your body does not completely digest or absorb ber. Some calorie counting approaches only count the calories that your body actually absorbs - this leads to a con ict in numbers.
The number of calories a person needs per day depends on many factors: Age, height, weight, gender, and activity level.
- ADULT WOMAN
- 1,600 – 2,400
- ADULT MEN
- 2,000 – 3,000
- YOUNG CHILDREN
- 1,000 – 2,000
- OLDER CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS
- 1,400 – 3,200
Finding the right balance
Generally speaking, to lose 1–2 pounds per week, calorie intake must be reduced by 500–1,000 calories per day.4 This means that if you consume 2,500 calories per day, you will drop your calorie intake to 1,500–2,000 per day
Physical activity conbriutes to weight loss
- Physical activity increases the
- by 500–1,000 calories per day.4 This means that if you consume 2,500 calories per day, you will drop your calorie intake to 1,500–2,000 per day.
- amount of calories that your body uses for energy. Reducing your caloric intake in combination with regular physical activity creates the necessary calorie de cit, allowing for sustained weight loss.
recipe for health and energy>
- balanced, healthy diet and regular physical activity
- Rather than focusing on counting calories, focus on the bigger picture – calories count!
Volumetric: Barbara Rolls
- Volumetric- people just like to eat
- the more (volume) the better
- given the choice ppl would chose to eat more food over less
- understand caloric density of foods
- fill up your plate with foods that are full of calories - eat more + weigh less
“weight is a bit like height”
- if you 6 foot you’ll never be 4foot. we have a general body type and all types are beautiful and can be health
- Calorie density (CD) is the number of calories per pound for each food. Notice that CD is lowest in unprocessed plant foods.
- By lling up with a plant-based diet, a person can balance their blood sugar and avoid cravings.
- This method will help naturally “crowd out” less favorable food choices, thus helping to keep calorie consumption low to maintain a healthy weight.
Sustainable Weight Loss –
How to Lose Weight and Keep it Off
Consistent small behavior modifications are not just about food - and are key to long term weight management
8 Pillars of a Nutritious Life
- Drink Up
- Sleep Deep
- Stress Less
- Love More
- Live Consciously
- Eat Empowered
- Nurture Yourself
- Sweat Often
Define health coach:
Health Coach is a guide and supportive mentor who empowers clients to take responsibility for their health and achievement of their personal wellness goals.
A Health Coach does not take the place of a medical practitioner by diagnosing, treating, or taking responsibility for bringing about wellness changes in a client’s life; rather a Health Coach encourages positive changes within client-driven wellness goals.
While the role of a physician to a patient tends to be authoritative, the role of a coach to a player is more supportive.
- Health Coaches have a strong focus on behavioral choices along with
- the basic understanding of dietary patterns and overall health, ful lling an important and distinct role that compliments the tasks of health professionals and works harmoniously to develop strategies that enact real, lasting lifestyle changes.