Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Mechanism of Action
- Direct action on myofibrils, phasic contraction of uterine smooth muscle like normal delivery
- Also promotes milk "letdown" in nursing mothers.
- Effective in inducing labor and uterine contractions following delivery, thereby controlling postpartum hemorrhage.
- Prior to fetal delivery-administration prior to delivery can cause fetal hypoxia, asphyxia and dysrhythmias
Can cause over stimulation of uterus resulting in uturine rubture thus vitals and uterine tone should be monitored
- Coma in mother
- Intracranial bleeding
Can cause hypertension when used with vasoconstrictors
Dose and Route
- Bolus: 3-10 Units OR
- Infusion: 10-20 units in 1000 mL NS via 60 gtts/mL set and titrate to effect
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview