The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
General anesthesia is characterized by some degree of... (5)
hypnosis, muscle relaxation (akinesia), analgesia, amnesia, hypo-reflexia (autonomic response)
Describe the unitary theory of anesthetic action.
general anesthetics are lipid soluble and distort the neuronal lipid bilayer by distorting the membrane-bound protein channels in the lipid bilayer
Anesthetic potency is related to _________.
What is the site of action of general anesthetics? (3)
- disrupt of ascending neural transmission within the brainstem reticular formation and thalamus
- depression of cerebral cortical neurons
- spinal cord site of action for muscle relaxation and autonomic reflex suppression
Describe how size and weight effects an animal's anesthetic dosage.
anesthetic dosage should be calculated based on an animals ideal weight b/c the blood flow to fat is minimal and has little effect on the action of anesthetic (it's easy to overdose an obese animal)
What are the classes of the physical status classification scheme? (6)
- Class I: normal, healthy patient
- Class II: mild systemic dz, slight risk (neonate, geriatric, mild dehydration, mild anemia, obese)
- Class III: severe systemic dz that is not incapacitating (regulated diabetic, early CKD)
- Class IV: incapacitating dz that is life-threatening (shock, GDV, etc)
- Class V: moribund patient not expected to live 24 hr (organ donor, organ failure)
- Class E: emergency, immediate anesthesia required (combined with a #)