Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Types of sex education:
- 1. Abstinence programs- no contraception
- 2. Abstinence Plus- focuses on STDs, may include contraception but still places heavy emphasis on abstinence
- 3. Comprehensive- educational components plus reproductive services, either at school or nearby in the community
Average age and % of adolescents having sex in 1960 vs 1990:
18.3 and 50%; 15.1 and 70%
As age of intercourse _________, the number of partners _________.
As number of partners _________, the probability of acquiring an STI _________.
Key concepts of sexuality/ sex education:
- 1. Human Development
- 2. Relationships
- 3. Personal Skills
- 4. Sexual Behavior
- 5. Sexual Health
- 6. Society/ Culture- Social/Cultural Environment
Interrelationship between physical, emotional, social, and intellectual growth.
Examples of human development:
- body image
- sexual orientation
play a central role throughout our lives; we have a natural drive for intimacy.
Examples of relationships:
Healthy sexuality requires the development and use of personal/ interpersonal skills.
Examples of personal skills:
- decision making
- looking for help
is central to being human, and individuals express their sexuality in a variety of ways.
Examples of sexual behavior:
- human sexual response
- sexual health
- shared sexual behavior
- sexual dysfunction
- sexuality throughout the lifespan
Specific information required along with attitudes to avoid unwanted consequences of sexual behavior.
Examples of sexual health:
- bladder infections
- reproductive health
- sexual abuse
Society/ Culture- Social/Cultural Environment...
shapes the way individuals learn about/ express their sexuality.
Examples of Society/ Culture- Social/Cultural Environment:
- gender roles
- double standards
- sexuality and the media/arts/law
Regarding sex with minors...
minors don't have rights; parents can change sexual behavior if they don't like it. (e.x. 18 y/o & 16 y/o)
Adolescents/ emerging adults are less likely to wear a condom if...
- 1. it's embarrassing to obtain one
- 2. it will "spoil the mood"
- 3. alcohol consumption
- 4. unique vulnerability- won't happen to me
- 5. negative reactions/ attitudes about sex
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview