The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the AMDRs for carbohydrates, protein and lipid?
- Carbohydrates : 45-65%
- Protein : 10-35%
- Fat: 20-35%
What are the Estimated Energy Requirements (EER)?
- its the daily energy (calorie) requirements = 200kcal
- its calculated according to an individual age, gender, weight , height and level of physical activity
- reflects a balancing act (energy to support life)
What are the 5 building blocks of a nutritious diet?
- 1. variety
- 2. balance
- 3. adequacy
- 4. moderation
What is variety?
- variety is the spice of life
- assortment of color, flavours, spices, textures, grains
- reduces the risk of nutrient inadequate or intoxication
what is balance?
- different types of foods in proportion to each other
- concept of the balanced plate
Ex: red meat is ↑ in iron and ↓ calcium
milk products are ↓ in iron and ↑ in calcium
what is moderation for energy balance?
- there is a balance between energy intake and energy expenditure
- we need to consider:
- 1. portion size
- 2. daily activities
what is nutrient density?
- its the amount of a nutrient provided by a food relative to the amount of energy provided
- processing and cooking food can affect nutrient density
- eg: potatoes can be bakes, boiled or fried
what is adequacy?
- making sure to provide all of the essential nutrients, fibre, and energy in sufficient amounts to maintain health and body weight
- inadequate intake → deficiency
what is moderation?
- nothing in excess
- no deprivation
- all foods fit!!!
- Na = needed to control blood pressure as as muscle function
- Cholesterol = required for cell structure and function
what are the different diet types?
- omnivore = eats plant and animal based foods, including animal flesh
- vegetarian = avoids animal products like milk, cheese, eggs
- vegan (a.k.a) strict vegetarian = eats foods from plant sources like veggies, grains, legumes, seeds, nuts