The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- 1. excessive pride or self-confidence; arrogance.
- 2. (in Greek tragedy) excessive pride towards or defiance of the gods, leading to nemesis.
[ˈfʌɪəri] [fahyuh r-ee]
- 1. an estimate; a rough numerical approximation
- I don't need an exact number. A ballpark figure will do.
- I'd say forty, but that's a ballpark figure.
behind the eight ball
- 1. at a disadvantage. in a bad situation. in a losing position.
- He hasn't studied all term, and now he's behind the eight ball.
- Don't let cash-flow crises put you behind the eight ball.
- Alludes to the eight ball in pool, which in certain games cannot be touched without penalty.
- to be extremely nervous and worried about something.
- I was sweating bullets over this interview.
- He was sweating bullets by the time the police had finished questioning him.
- an important or powerful person in a group or organization
- Apparently her father is a big cheese in one of the major banks.Who's the big cheese around here?