The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
a serious psychotic mental disorder that afflicts one out of every 100 people or 6%
a. symptons of schizophrenia (emphasis on Paranoid)
- * distrubances in perception (impared filtering and selection).
- hallucination (e.g., hearing voices, seeing things,etc).
- *distrubances in language & though
- delusion-distored beliefs
- *emotional disturbances-exaggerated or blunted emotions
- *behavioral distrubances-social withdrawal, bizarre mannerisms
1. biological theory:
- a. genetics
- b. neurotranmitters
- dopamine hypothese- recent research indicates that there may excess dopamine
- in the temporal areas of the brain and a depletion of dopamine in the frontal areas.
- c. brain function
2. psychosocial theory -
- most scientist agree that schizophrenia has a biological cause, but there are psychosocial
- * stress- extremely stresful situation often triggers this disorder
- * family communications
* expressed emotionality-
a tendency to be critical and hostile or to be emotionally over-involded-canlead to a relapse or worsening of symptons.
invole inflexible, maladaptive perosnality traits
ANTISOCIAL PEROSNALITY- "SOCIPATH," PSYCHOPATH" MOST SERIOUS
- *lack guilt, remorse
- * superficial charm
- * impulsive
- * egocentric
2. borderline personality- characterized by:
- *self-injuring behavior
- *instability in relationships
drug use causes harm to self or others, i.e interferes w/ a person's social or occupational functioning.
tolerance and or / withdrawal
distrubances in eating behavior that invole maladaptive and unhealthy efforts to control body weight .
anorexia nervos (20% die)
an eating disorder involving intense fear of gainingweight coupled with refusal to maintain normal body weight.
- an eating disorder in which individuals engage in recurrent episodes of binge eating
- followed by some form of purging.