Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
constantly changing or moving; in a state of imbalance or tension
- are the areas that either surround the positive shapes or exist between them.
- in a still life painting, they are the spaces around the bowl of fruit, between fruit forms, or in the background. in sculpture the negative shapes are the empty spaces around and between the solid forms.
- are the tangible, actual aspects of a design
- in painting or drawing they often represent solid forms such as a bowl of fruit in a still life. in sculpute the positive shapes are the solid forms of the sculpture itself
every design has positive and negative shapes. They are equally important. a succesful design is one that carefully balances both
- free form or irregular, opposite of geometric
- often curved or rounded in appearance
- informal, irregular shapes
- i.e. shape of pear, maple leaf
- element of design
- 3 dimensional: length width and depth
- usually have weight and solidity
- line curves around and crosses itself or intersects other lines
- to enclose a space. 2 dimensional: height and width only
- are straight edged shapes
- suggest strength and regularity
- when you look at angular shapes your eyes move along the shape and stop momentarily where one shape
- connects to another. these meeting or opposing shapes may add a sense of tension to a design
- are graceful; and because the eye rapidly sweeps along them without interruption they
- tend to imply movement
showing no movement or action
curved or angular shapes can be ___ or ___.
geometric and organic shapes can be curved or angular
- a shape that can be defined precisely by mathematic coordinates in measurements.
- precise and sharply defined
How can you use senses to understand qualities of shape
- shapes and forms have different qualities,
- to understand a shapes quality you can use your senses
- being aware of appearances such as perceived weight, service quality and position will help you
- portray shapes and forms convincingly in your design
To draw or construct shapes effectively, an artist must understand how to _______. Hint: L and H
- to draw or construct shapes effectively, an artist must understand
- how to convey qualities such as lightness and heaviness.
How does light reflect on a smooth surface
reflects light easily and the reflections can be very bright
How does light reflect on textured shapes
a heavily textured surface tends to absorb light, thereby reflecting far less.
How do artists create shapes and forms that are both interesting and life like.
By emphasizing surface qualities
Shapes that are either a vertical or a horizontal position will appear to be standing and still and resting.
The position of a shape or form that suggests rest and stability
What shapes are used to produce a peaceful landscape design
These shapes appear to be active and are associated with movement
leaning or ____ shapes suggest falling, running, or climbing.
The position of shape or form that suggests a feeling of energy and movement
what shapes are used to produce or achieve a more active feeling
What is the name of the artist that uses dynamic shapes to recreate the united airlines terminal at Chicago O'Hare International airport. This art work is on the cover of our book
What is the name of the artist that uses textured shapes in the fur covered cup, saucer and spoon. What type of art is she using
Meret Oppenheim. Surrealist art
What effect does bright sunlight have on shapes and forms
creates dark shadows and glaring highlights
What effect does cloudy day or setting sun have on a shape or form
crisp, well defined landforms change to dark, flat shapes
What effect does a source of light from one side have on an object
A source of light from one side will lengthen and distort the shadow, calling attention to details of surface texture.
what effect does over head light have on the forms we see
An overhead source of light usually creates shorter shadows and can make surface texture indistinct.
what is the effect of light on angular and sharp edge forms
light creates sudden changes and shadows from brightest to darkest areas
How does light effect the appearance of round or curved forms
on round or curved forms, light creates gradual changes and shadows. Usually the brightest and darkest areas are separated from one another by many graduations of light highlights may appear right next to the darkest shadows.
What is the name of the artist that painted the Rouen Cathedral Facade at various times of day and different seasons which famously shows the effects of light on an object
What is the artist Kumi Yamashita known for
exploring the shapes cast by light on forms
What are the six qualities of shape
light, heavy, smooth, textured, static and dynamic
What is unusual about Meret Oppenheim's object? what style of art is this?
The saucer and cup are covered by fur which is usually not found on this objects. these objects are usually smooth. This style of art is surrealist in style.
What subjects does Jacob Lawrence depict in his painting series? Why did he choose to depict these subjects/
He often depicts important figures and events in african american history. He is african american and these are the subjects he knows best
Name one image in this chapter that you think shows an effective use of positive and negative shapes. identify the main positive and negative shapes in the image.
Plus Reversed by Richard Anuszkiwicz (it is debatable whether the orange space or the green space is positive or negative because the design of each is very similar).
and Pink Lady Slipper by Anna Atkins (the flower is the positive, the blue surrounding is the negative)
How does light effect how we see form? Name 2 artists who were interested in the effect of light on form.
Light creates highlights and shadows, which define the form. claude Monet and Kumi Yamashita were interested in the effect of light on form.
What artist was known for using just the outline of a form (naked women)
Describe the use of depth by size and vertical arrangement
see the figues on note cards
describe pictoral verses abstract arrangement
- Shapes can be arranged more literally to represent subject matter
- They may be a more abstract representation
describe realistic verses planar arrangement
depth can be shown by overlapping shapes and showing movement.
objects on planes behind others will be perceived to appear farther away
Spiral shapes used in design tend to represent
- process of growth
What masculine characteristics does a triangle have
- dynamic movement
triangle shapes used in design tend to represent
- tension or conflict
- self discovery and revelation
circular shapes in design tend to represent
what feminine characteristics does a circle have
- sensuality and love
what do square and rectangular shapes in design represent
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview