The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
wise use of our natural resources
reservation and maintance of resources by forestalling use and destruction or NON-USE!
NATURAL RESOURCE DEVELOPEMENT AND MANAGEMENT
study of change in human interactions with their natural environment
WHO WAS THE FIRST WILDLIFE MANAGER?
kublai khan 1215-1294
STEPHEN MATHER 1867-1930
- founding director of US national park service fought to preserve parks
- from private exploitation
GIFFORD PINCHOT 1865-1946
- first cheif of the US forest service 1905-10
- advocated conservation of the forest reserves by planned use and renewel
- coined the term "conservation" as applied to natural resources
WHAT IS THE ROOSEVELT DOCTURINE ON CONSERVATION?
- all outdoor resources as one integral whole, everythings inerelated
- conservation as "wise use" as a public responsibility
- science is the tool for discharging that responsibility
JOHN MUIR 1838-1914
- founder of the sierra club 1892
HENRY DAVID THOREAU / RALPH WALDO EMERSON
- shaped a new attitude towards wild nature by their romantic and transcedentalist essays
- -nature (emerson)
- -walden (thoreau)
- - the maine woods (thoreau)
WHAT ARE THE US CONSERVATION PERIODS?
- environmental quality
WHAT WAS THE FIRST NATIONAL PARK AND UNDER WHAT PRESIDENT?
- yellowstone national park march 1, 1872
- president Grant
WHAT DID THE CIVIL WAR IN 1861 CAUSE?
mass mobilization and destruction of US resources
WHAT WERE EARLY SOCIETIES CALLED?
hunters and gathers
WHAT DID EARLY AGRICULTURE CAUSE?
reduced human mobility and land clearing resulted in habitat alteration and soil disturbance
WHAT IS AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT?
primarily irragated agriculture in the arid southwest, woodland agriculture and eastern decidious forests
WHAT WAS THE TURN OF THE CENTURY?
- individual state departments of conservation primarily concerned with
- decline of wildlife resources
- after colonies established the economy it was based on trade of North Americas abundant natural resources
- theory came about that there was always more out west
- then came market hunting, clear cutting and strip mining