PrevMed2- Meat Hygiene
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the important sanitation standards must be met for establishment of food animal grounds and facilities? (4)
- pest control- major source of diseases and parasites
- ventilation- must be adequate for humans and animals
- water/sewer- must meet EPA and local health department standards
How is contamination of red meat handled?
you cannot wash fecal, ingesta, or contaminants off red meat; it MUST be trimmed off
What is HACCP?
- Science-based process controls to eliminate, prevent, or reduce food safety hazards
- must be unique for every single facility (cannot use protocols from other facilities)
What are the principals of HACCP? (7)
- conduct a hazard analysis
- ID critical control points
- establish critical limits
- establish monitoring procedures
- establish corrective actions
- establish record keeping procedures
- establish verification procedures
Describe the hazard analysis step with HACCP.
- thorough and well-suppored analysis, considering all relevant hazards and all steps in a process
- consider likelihood of hazards and brainstorm controls for hazards
What are prerequisite programs?
- written programs to prevent a hazard (that has been deemed unlikely) from entering into a system
- procedures that provide basic environmental or operating conditions
What are critical control points of HACCP?
- specific procedures that eliminate or reduce food safety hazards (that are deemed likely to occur)
- critical limit
Describe HACCP validation.
- scientific/ technical support
- all critical control procedures and prerequisite programs
- increased in-plant monitoring data
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview