The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Colony stimulating factor?
glycoprotein that bind to hemopoatic stem cells activating proliferation/differentiation
- Histoplasma capsulatum
- "tuberculate macroconidia"
- Found in guano (birds/bats) and soil beneath
- "River valley"
- Usually subclinical
Cell seen in Hodgkins?
- (giant cells in tissue biopsy)
- vaguely resembles Giardia (2 eyes)
Overproduction of platelets
- Essential thrombocythemia
- Essential thrombocytosis
- Y axis = volume
- X axis = DF1 granularity (light scatter)
Immunoglobulin band (MS screen)
Ionized calcium left to stand =
- Increased result?
- pH change inversed = ionized calcium change
Ingesting mothballs (naphthalene poisoning)
- methemoglobin leads to hemolytic anemia (esp G6PD def)
- Heinz Bodies
GNC after jaw surgery
- Alternaria spp
- Plant pathogens
- Allergens (hay fever, asthma)
- Geotrichum candidum
- lung/organ disease geotrichosis
- sour rot of fruits/veggies
Malassezia furfur complex
- Liopophilic yeast
- olive oil overlay
(accepted-experimental)/accepted x 100%
- deviation = average-actual
- std deviation = Εall devations / # measurements
- Soil, mostly harmless
- Some produce toxins
- *note large middle circle causes curve
- plant pathogen
exp - CPD/CP2D / CPDA-1 / Additive (AS_)
- CPD/CP2D: 21d
- CPDA-1: 35d
- Additive: 42d
Purpose of Heparin-Manganese chloride?
Precipitate apoprotein-B-containing liporpotiens (LDL/VLDL)
- Mostly soil/decaying dead stuff
- Some parasites
- Spores (sexual and asexual)
- Blastomyces dermatiditis
- blastomycosis - invasive/serious in endemic regions
- soil/wet wood/near waterway
X factor = ?
V factor = ?
interaction w/ S aureus?
- *para = needs X
- SBA inactivates NAD, S aureus produces NAD and hemin from B lysis
Thrombin time purpose
Prolonged time indicates fibrinogen abnormality
ANA speckled pattern indicates
- Strongyloides stercoralis
- female big
- penetrate skin
S. aureus ferments...?
- Mannitol (yellow on MSA)
Choriocarcinoma is? Where?
germ-cell tumor (usually placenta)
Major characteristics of Plasmodium
- F: multiple rings
- gametocyte like banana
- V: schuffner's dots
Elizabethkingia meningoseptica disease?
pediatric meningitis (premature NBs)
If coag tube isn't filled...?
- Prolonged times (extra anticoagulant)
- Need 9:1
D and e
almost all D+ is e+
Purpose of Protein C and S?
- Natural anticoagulants
- Inactive Factor 5 ∴ decrease clotting
wright stain too pink
- ph too acidic
- time too short
How do you know if the plasma used for PTT has been contaminated with heparin
- Thombin time will be increased
- (PT may be normal or slightly increased)
No thymus ∴ decreased T cells
Howell Jolly is composed of?
Pappenheimer bodies made of? Stain with?
Fibrinogen reference range
- Extra adenine (more ATP) allows longer time
- (35 days)
121C, 15PSI, 15-40m
- AFB stains
- ZN: HEAT into the cells
- K: no heat, increased [carbol fuschion]
- Sporothrix schenckii
- "Cigar bodies" in yeast form
- rose cutters
- "shanked in"
beta-gamma bridge on SPEP
Liver disease (esp alcohol)
Type I hypersensitivity reaction caused by?
- IMMEDIATE hypersensitivity reactions
- IgE release of histamines from mast cells and basophils
enzyme tests that are needed for muscle dystrophy
What is the chloride shift?
- The exchange of Cl- and HCO3- across RBC membs
- pH decrease -> K+ decrease (plasma)
anion gap normal values
- AG: <11mEq/L
- Na: 135-145mEq/L
- HC: 22-28mEQ/L
- Cl: 96-106 mEq/L
Alcoholic liver disease
- trichuris trichiura
- Whipworm (looks like whip)
Micrococcus antibiotic R (not on chart)
Purpose of potassium permanganate in auramine rhodamin
Quenching agent (background)
Whooping cough specimen?
RAST (RIST?) test?
Allergies, tests for specific IgE Ab
Le and Se gene. Pheneotype?
CO2 ISE principle
- CO2 gas permeable membrane
- Change in pH
Cause of pseudo pelger huet?
AML, CML, Myelodysplastic syndrome
abs one wavelenght and releases another (usually less energy, longer wavelength)
iron def anemia
Low in serum iron, low tibc, normal (or high) ferritin
anemia of chronic disease
- "thermally sensitive resistor"
- resistance reduce by heating
- Cryptococcus neoformans
- "encapsulated yeast"
- Lung infections
- meningitis in AIDS
Mycobacterium associated with tap water
- M. gordonae
- "tap water bacillus"
cat scratch fever
vitamin k and hemin in agar?
Fecal occult blood reagant?
- Increased cortisol, ?decreased ACTH?
- Moon face, weight gain, etc
B subgroup causing MF?
Decrease in free PSA?
- Cancer indicator vs benign prostate condition
- (free is damanged)
TIBC = sIron + UIBC
dipstick glucose vs clinitest
- Dipstick MORE sensitive
- Clinitest not spp for glucose (any reducer)
Metabolite of Primidone
pseudocholinesterase deficiency related to?
Fletchers media for?