The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the action of nitroglycerin?
what are the adverse effects of nitroglycerin or isosorbide?
what is the difference between nitroglycerin and isosorbide?
- nitro - short acting
- isosorbide - long acting
what class of drugs are nitro and isosorbide?
- organic nitrates
nursing considerations for nitroglycerin?
- change patch every 12-24 hours
- sublingual tabs Q5 min up to 3 times in 15 min
- adverse effects - watch for
- monitor BP, HR, ECG
- healthy diet
- no smoking
- no ETOH
what class of drugs is atenolol (Tenormin)?
what is the action of atenolol?
- slows heart rate
- reduces contractility
- lowers myocardial oxygen demand
what are the adverse effects of atenolol?
- digoxin may slow AV conduction --> Heart block
what class of drugs is diltiazem and the "dipines"?
calcium channel blocker
what is the action of diltiazem and the "dipines"?
- relaxes coronary and peripheral blood vessels
- increases oxygen to myocardium
- reduces cardiac workload
what are the adverse effects of diltiazem and the "dipines"?
- edema of ankles and feet
nursing considerations for diltiazem and the "dipines"?
- many drug-drug interactions
- St. Johns wort, ginseng ↓ effectiveness
- garlic, hawthorn, goldenseal ↑ effect
What does research show about giving MI patients ACE inhibitors?
- increased survival rates with therapy started within 24 hours
- captopril or lisinopril
what class of drug is reteplase (Retavase)?
what are the uses of reteplase (Retavase)?
- dissolve existing clots
- treat acute MI (within 12 hrs)
- treat DVT
- treat CVA (within 3 hrs)
- treat PE
- treat arterial thrombosis
- clear IV caths
what are the adverse effects of reteplase (Retavase)?
- excessive bleeding (CVA)
what classes of drugs can cause heart failure?
- ACE inhibitors
- Ca+ channel blockers
- beta blockers
what are the s/s of heart failure from heart drugs?
- fatigue and weakness
- edema of LE
- tachycardia or irregular HR
- persistent coughing (pink tinged phlegm)
- difficulty sleeping
- confusion, impaired memory