Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the 5 cognitive domains that the MMSE tests and what is done for each of them?
- orientation (date, day, month, place)
- memory encoding (learn and recall 3 things)
- attention and calculation (count back 7s, WORLD backwards)
- language (naming, sentence repetition, comprehension)
- visuo-construction (copy the overlapping figures)
- Performance out of 30:
- mild = 21-26
- mild to mod = 15-20
- mod = 10-14
- severe= <10
- To overcome limitations of MMSE perform:
- - clock drawing
- - verbal fluency
- - similarities/proverbs
In a comparison of a normal aged brain and an Alzheimers patients brain what are the three signs of alzheimers (on a slice)?
- -extreme shrinkage of cerebral cortex
- -extreme shrinkage of hippocampus
- -sevely enlarged ventricles
What are the symptoms of alzheimers?
- Alzheimers: most common form of dementia. degenerative disease.
- early stage - inability to acquire new memories.
- as progresses - confusion, irritability and aggression, mood swings, language breakdown, long-term membory loss, general withdrawal
- gradually - bodily functions are lost, leading to death.
What is the cause and progression of Alzheimers?
- - not well understood
- - research indicates assoc w plaques and tangles in the brain
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview