Mod 6 Fatty Acids
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
State the BIG IDEAS for Fatty Acids
- 1. Healthy fatty acid deficiency is epidemic:
- Musculoskeletal issues
- Endocrine issues
- Cardiovascular issues
- Immune issues
- Allergies, skin problems
- Depression etc.
- 2. Inflammation can be effectively managed with nutritional therapy, therefore reducing healing time.
Name the two fatty acids that are essential to the body
- Two polyunsaturated fats that are essential are:
- Linoleic Acid (LA) - Omega 6 and
- Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA) Omega 3.
- There are four others that are conditional:
- Gamma-linolenic (ALA)
- Arachidonic (AA)
- Eicosapentaenoic (EPA)
- Docosahexaenoic (DHA)
List four roles of fats in the body
- Source of energy
- building blocks for cell membranes and hormones
- aid absorption of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, K
- Allowing for proper use of proteins
- serving as a protective lining of organs
- help regulate energy absorption by slowing absorption of food
- increasing satiety
- makes food taste good.
Explain the impacts of a diet low in Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids to the healing process
- Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation, and most omega-6 fatty acids tend to promote inflammation.
- A diet low of both fatty acids, will increase healing, increase pain, delay healing abilities.
- Overproduction of prostaglandins.
Identify the three primary cofactors you need to consider when balancing prostaglandin formation.
- Proper digestion
- Proper liver function
- Enzymes (incl. Delta 6 Desaturase
- - Amino Acids
- - Vit B6
- - Magnesium
- - Zinc
Describe and perform the FE for Fatty Acid deficiency
- Oral pH test
- Instruct the client not to eat or drink for 30 minutes prior to appointment.
- tear off a 2" piece of pH test paper(don't put the end you hold in the clients mouth.
- Have the client moisten the paper with saliva and allow you to pull it out of their mouth lips apart.
- compare test strip to the chart as quickly as possible.
- Scoring: pH of 7.2-7.4 is sufficient.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview