The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Conditions conducive to icing
- OAT =<10°C &
- visible moisture present or
- moisture on wing or
- wing fuel temp =<0° & OAT/dew pt spread =<3°C or
- conditions conducive to frost formation exist or
- water, ice, or snow on ramp, rwy, or taxiway
conditions conducive to icing - ground/TO
- OAT =<10C
- ramps, taxiways, or runways contain snow, ice, standing water, or slush
conditions conducive to icing - flight
- TAT =<10C
- visible moisture in any form (clouds, rain, snow, sleet or ice crystals) is encountered
- EXCEPT when SAT is -40C or below
What is the clean aircraft concept?
The aircraft will not take off with frost, ice, or snow adhering to the wings, control surfaces, engine inlets, or other critical surfaces.
What is a Cold Weather Preflight Inspection?
Visual inspection of critical surfaces and components for frozen contaminants, including a tactile inspection of wing leading edge and upper surface to detect surface features.
When must a Cold Weather Preflight Inspection be performed?
- OAT is =<5°C or
- wing fuel temp =<0°C or
- conditions conducive to icing exist or
- RON aircraft exposed to frost or precip that could involve the entire airframe or
- through flight where residual ice from the inbound flight may have accumulated or
- cold soak ice is suspected in fuel tank areas
When is take off permitted with frost adhering to the aircraft?
- <= 1/8 inch on underside of wing fuel tank area caused by cold soaked fuel
- upper surface of fuselage through which surface features may be distinguished
What are the deicing communication elements?
- A: fluid type
- B: fluid percentage
- C: time application began
- E: post application check for clean surfaces is complete
Cowls - ON for ground ops when:
- OAT <=10C and
- visible moisture in any form (fog with visibility <=1 mile, rain, snow, sleet and ice crystals) is present or
- ramps, taxiways or runways contain snow, ice, standing water or slush
Wings - CRJ 200 - ON for final taxi when:
Wings - CRJ 200 - ON for T/O when:
- OAT <=5°C and
- visible moisture in any form (clouds, fog, or mist below 400' AGL) or
- runway is wet or contaminated or
- any precipitation exists
Wings - CRJ 700/900 - ON for T/O when:
- OAT <=5C and
- visible moisture in any form (fog with visibility <= 1 mile, rain, snow, and sleet) is present or
- runway is contaminated with surface snow, slush or standing water
Cowls - ON in flight when:
- in icing conditions or
- ICE is annunciated by the ice detection system
Wings - ON in flight when:
- in icing conditions at <230 KIAS or
- when ICE is annunciated by the ice detection system
What elements are required on a release?
- Trip/flight #
- Aircraft ID
- Airports - departure, destination, alternate
- Type of operation (IFR/VFR)
- Minimum fuel supply
- WX (latest available)
- open MEL and/or CDL items on DMI log
What is MINTO?
- Alternate (most distant)
How much can release fuel be decreased without concurrence of Dispatcher?
- 200 lbs or
- 50% of contingency
How much can release fuel be increased without concurrence of Dispatcher?
When is an alternate NOT required to be listed on the release?
- Whenever forecast WX for:
- 1: ETA +/- 1 hr
- 2: Ceiling >=2000 ft AGL
- 3: Vis >=3 mi
When is a new/amended release required?
- whenever PIC/Dispatcher thinks it's needed
- aircraft change
- delay of >2 hours
- unable to depart in accordance with original release
- return to departure airport
- departure after unscheduled landing
What are the report for duty times?
- domestic 45 minutes
- international 60 minutes
When must you report to the aircraft/departure gate?
- CRJ200 30 minutes (AA 35 minutes)
- CRJ700/900 35 minutes
How is flight crew ID verified?
SkyWest crewmember not on trip, SkyWest employee, or authorized ground crew verify company ID against trip sheet, release, or electronic means
What are the required flight items for pilots?
- pilot's certificate
- company ID
- EFB, back-up battery & bag
- current Jepps, FOM & SOPM
What additional flight items are required for pilots for international operations?
- FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit
- spare glasses
What are the storage requirements regarding the EFB?
- must have a flight bag suitable for carrying, protecting & stowing EFB
- must be secured during critical phases of flight
What are the 'Report for Duty' requirements for the EFB?
- be in good working order - no damage, cracks, or other defects that would affect operations
- minimim battery charge of 80%
- back-up battery charged to 100%
- Jepp FD-Pro updated (Today marker within green bar)
- Company Manuals synced within 4 calendar days
What are the uniform requirements?
- jacket - wings on left side, buttoned when in public view - discretionary in extreme WX
- pants - no cuff
- shirt - epaulets, wings & name tag on left side
- black sweater - if no epaulets, must wear jacket w/epaulets or hat when in public view
- black belt
- black tie
- hat w/emblem - optional
What's required for an FAA inspector to occupy the jumpseat?
Form 110A (example in FOM Ch 5)
Where is the list of authorized jumpseat occupants?
FOM Ch 5 - Admission to the Flight Deck
How much does a carry on weigh when it's gate-checked?
What is the procedure for handling ticketed cabin baggage?
- Pax buys a seat for the baggage
- baggage is issued a boarding pass
- FA is notified by list/verbally
- Pax must carry baggage on and secure it in the seat
- baggage cannot be in an exit row
- baggage must be <=165 lbs
- for W&B, baggage = child's weight
Are animals allowed on SkyWest flights?
Customer Service administers/enforces company animal carriage policy, including service, search & rescue and explosive detection. PIC has final authority in event of conflict.
What weight is assigned to a live animal carried in the cabin?
- cabin pets = 0, pet is considered the pax's carry on item allowance
- service animals = 0, pet is NOT considered the pax's carry on item
How are infants handled for W&B?
- an infant is 0 - 2 years old
- infant's weight = 0
- infant included on PIN for # of souls on board count