6. How far from a railroad crossing should you stop?
RAILROAD CROSSING STOPS
- Stop at RR crossings. Stop your bus between 15 and 50 feet before railroad crossings. Listen and
- look in both directions for trains. You should open your forward door if it improves your ability to see
- or hear an approaching train. Before crossing after a train has passed, make sure there isn't another
- train coming in the other direction on other tracks. If your bus has a manual transmission, never
- change gears while crossing the tracks.
You do not have to stop, but must slow down and carefully check for other vehicles:
• At street car crossings.
• At railroad tracks used only for industrial switching within a business district.
• Where a policeman or flagman is directing traffic.
• If a traffic signal shows green.
• At crossings marked as "exempt" or "abandoned."