Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the precautions for the BCF fire extinguisher? (5)
- Protective breathing equipment should be worn
- Before discharging a BCF in the flight deck, oxygen masks should be put on and crew oxygen regulators set to 100%
- Do not allow any metal part of the BCF to make contact with live wires
- If fighting fluid fires avoid getting too close to reduce the risk of splashing fluid surface
- BCF has been shown not to be effective on combustible metal fires (class D) but it can be effective in fighting the subsequent fire of surrounding material
Are BCF and HALON extinguishers the same?
Yes, BCF extinguishers are also known as HALON extinguishers. HALON is used in some aircraft type manuals.
What is the optimum range of the BCF fire extinguisher?
1.5 to 2 meters
What is the operation method of the BCF?
- Push up the red catch
- Aim at the base of the fire
- Squeeze the handle
- Sweep the flames. Use in short bursts or continuously
- All burned (non-electrical) material and ember should be thoroughly soaked with water
What is the limitation of the BCF?
Hold within 60 degrees of vertical
What is the duration of the 1.5kg BCF?
A minimum of 10 seconds
What are the precautions of the OLD style PBE? (6)
- Prior to removing a PBE from the foil bag, ensure the bag is vacuum packed. If the bag is not vacuum sealed, do not use the PBE.
- Be careful not to damage the neck seal when fitting. Do not interfere with the neck seal once it is in place as this may allow smoke into the hood.
- Remove scarves and ensure long hair is contained within the neck seal inside the hood. This will ensure the PBE seals correctly to avoid smoke in the hood and stop hair from burning.
- After use do not use water to cool the canister
- Do not expose device directly to flame
- Remove expired hood away from fire, built up oxygen in hood can be highly flammable.
What is the duration of the old style PBE?
A minimum of 15 minutes
What is the preflight check of the ESSEX PBE? (2)
- Tamper prevention integrity seal is intact
- Check humidity indicator is blue in colour (Pink indicator is a FAIL)
What are the precautions of the ESSEX PBE? (5)
- Before activating the oxygen, remove objects from around the head (such as hair combs, long earrings or jewellery) to prevent them from puncturing the hood or damaging the neck seal.
- Ensure that long hair is contained within the neck seal inside the hood.
- To avoid losing oxygen once the system is activated, and to minimise the amount of toxins that may enter the hood, don the hood promptly after activation.
- If the hood collapses around the face at any time, remove it immediately and obtain a new one.
- Do not remove the hood while near sparks or open flame. Some residual oxygen may remain in both the hood and hair.
How do you know your ESSEX PBE is operating properly?
An immediately audible hissing sound of oxygen flowing and the inflation of the unit within 2 minutes indicates the PBE is working.
In the ESSEX PBE how long does the oxygen flow for?
8 to 10 minutes
In the ESSEX PBE how long is the minimum duration?
A minimum of 15 minutes
How do you know when the duration of the ESSEX PBE is over? (2)
- The flashing green light turns to a flashing red light, or
- When the hood collapses
How do you dispose of a faulty or used ESSEX PBE?
Place it into a lavatory waste bin, once the waste bin has been emptied of all refuse including the plastic bag liner.
What is the colour of the waste bin extinguisher nozzle tips when the extinguisher has been discharged?
A temperature sensitive indicator placard is near the extinguisher. What colour does the silver dot turn when exposed to high temperatures?
The silver dot turns black
Once the lavatory waste bin extinguisher has been discharged, can the lavatory be used for the remainder of the flight?
No, the lavatory must be blocked off and cannot be used for the remainder of the flight.
What type of gas does the lavatory waste bin extinguisher use? Is it toxic?
It used non toxic freon gas
Can you wear smoke goggles over normal prescription glasses?
On the 747 fixed oxygen system, if you pull down on one mask will all the masks activate?
No, only that mask will activate
What is the duration of the 747 fixed oxygen system?
The duration varies according to passenger numbers, altitude and distance at altitude.
How do you shut off the 747 fixed oxygen system?
Shut off each mask when no longer required. System can be reset from the flight deck.
What type of Fixed oxygen system does the B747 have? Chemically generated or Stored Gaseous?
What type of Passenger Service Units (PSUs) does the B747 use to deliver oxygen?
Both the In Line Flow and Green Bag Flow PSUs
A passenger receiving oxygen should be check how often?
Every 15 minutes
How much oxygen should you leave in a portable oxygen cylinder to make refilling less complicated?
What are the precautions of a portable oxygen cylinder? (7)
- Avoid bumping/dropping the cylinder.
- No ignition sources within four metres of oxygen equipment.
- Avoid contact between oxygen equipment and oils or grease.
- Remove make-up from the person before administering oxygen.
- When administering oxygen to a passenger, the cylinder must be secured, to prevent movement and possible injury during turbulence or other unanticipated aircraft movement.
- When Cabin Crew are required to fit an oxygen cylinder while moving around the cabin, fit the carry strap over the head and shoulder to ensure the cylinder is secure. Keep the cylinder to the front of the body so the gauge can be monitored.
- Flight deck oxygen cylinders must not be used for passengers if there is oxygen remaining in the passenger cabin cylinders. The Captain's approval is required prior to the use of these cylinders for passengers.
What is the capacity of the Portable Oxygen Cylinder?
The dual outlet portable oxygen cylinder, can both outlets be used at the same time?
How many Litres per minute is the LOW flow setting on a portable oxygen cylinder?
2 Litres per minute (2LPM)
How many Litres per minute is the HIGH flow setting on a portable oxygen cylinder?
4 Litres Per Minute (4LPM)
How long does the oxygen last in a portable oxygen bottle on the HIGH flow setting?
How long does the oxygen last in a portable oxygen bottle on the LOW flow setting?
How can the flight deck oxygen bottles be identified with an EROS outlet? (2)
- May be identified by a yellow band around the top (brass fitting)
- By the presence of the brass EROS mask outlet (brass)
How long will an EROS oxygen bottle last?
Up to 15 minutes depending on workload