USE OF FORCE
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Common law Use of Force
Any use of force must be reasonable in the circumstances. Only the minimum amount of force necessary to accomplish a lawful purpose may be used
Section 3 Criminal Law Act 1967
A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances, in the prevention of crime, or in the effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of an offender or suspected offenders or persons unlawfully at large.
Section 114 TACT 2000
A constable may if necessary use reasonable force for the purpose of exercising power conferred on him by virtue of this act.
Self Defence 3 conditions
There must be imminent danger to life or limb of accused or another
The force used must be necessary and proportional for the safety of accused or another
If means of escape or retreat, they are bound to use them
- 2 right to Life
- 3 prohibition of torture
- 5 Right to liberty
- 8 right to respect for private and family life
Everyone's right to Life shall be protected by law. No one shall be deprived of his life intentionally. Sentence!
- Absolute cannot interfere
- Limited only in certain circumstances
- Qualified. Justify interference
Dept of Energy & Climate Change
Lethal force may be used concerning attempt theft of Nuclear Material
(1) Reasonably believed individual or group are in possession of NM.
(2) Reasonably believed NM is potentially capable of risk to life (dirty bomb)
(3) No other option to prevent escape whilst in possession of NM
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview