The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Who is the sole NIH doctor?
Dr. H. Trendley Dean
What is the effect on dental decay if water fluoridation would be eliminated?
- dental caries rates would increase
- significant loss of the benefits of dental caries prevention
What are the two safety drinking water act enactments from 1986? What are they defined as?
- The Safe Drinking Water Act enacted by Congress in 1986 established primary and secondary standards for natural fluoride levels in public drinking water in the US.
- Primary standard; 4.0 ppm F protect public against health effects
- secondary standard; 2.0 ppm F protect children from moderate/severe enamel fluorosis
There are tolerable uptake levels. weight/age based. For a 7kg-9kg for the first 6 months of life whats is recommended?
- 0.7mg/day first 6 months
- 0.9mg/day second 6 months
What is the halo effect?
- Diffusion; the extension of benefits of community water fluoridation to residents of fluoride-deficient communities.
- -consumption of commercial foods and beverages processed in a fluoridated community and transported to fluoride-deficient communities