Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
WHAT IS TAXONOMY?
its the science of describing, naming and identifying organisms
WHAT IS TAXONOMY BASED ON?
- morphology which is form and structure
- external appearence the most common
- internal anatomy
IDENTIFICATION IS SOMETIMES DIFFICULT BECAUSE?
- sexual dimorphism
- color variations
- complex lifecycles
WHO IS CARL LINNAEUS?
- the father of taxonomy
- he came up with the bionomial classification system
WHAT IS THE BINOMIAL SYSTEM?
- its a 2 name system, where descriptions are based on physical features
- genus-group of similar species
- species- specific type of organism
WHY USE SCIENTIFIC NAMES?
- for standardization
- many species have several common names
- many different species share the same common names
WHAT IS CLASSIFICATION?
- systematic arrangement of organisims based on their similarities
- 9 major taxa
- from broad to narrow
- -domain (largest)
- -species (smallest)
WHAT ARE THE 6 KINGDOMS?
- eubacteria (true bacteria)
- archaebacteria (primitive bacteria)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview