Process for passing a bill
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- writing the bill
- senator proposes and drafts the bill.
- introduces the bill to the house
- *if it deals with money- starts in house of reps.
- Assigning Bills
- assigned title & number (S. 797)
- then sent to a committee
- chairperson of committee choses which bills are heard
- Committee Action
- standing committee can pass bill w/o changes
- can pigon hole (ignore & let die)
- can kill bill by majority vote
- Floor Debate
- bill moves to house to be heard
- discuss if amendments need to be made to the bill
- in senate: senators can "filibuster"
- only cloture (3/5) can end filibuster
- voting on the bill
- (standing vote, voice vote, computerized voting)
- Moves to the other house
- if a house wants changes- a conference committee is created
- Presidents options:
- pocket veto
- sign into law
- Challenging a veto
- congress can override veto with 2/3 vote in each house
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview