Biology Exam 1 terms
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
-membrane that surround sthe cell and separates it from the outside/ selectively permeable
-genetic material of the cell/ stores instructions for making parts of the cell and new cells
-instructions to make parts of cells or new cells
- -copying the gene into a message molecule called RNA
- -occues in nucleus
- -creating the protein from the gene's plan via the RNA copy
- -occurs in cytoplasm
- -workbenches that put the proteins together from the amino acids building blocks.
- -translates nucleic code into protein code
- -all material inside plasma membrane and outside nucleus.
- -filled with proteins, lipids, nucleotides
-smallest units that retain all the properties of life.
-membrane building blocks
-DNA building blocks
- - sum of all biochemical reactions that make life possible
- - mostly occurs in cytoplasm
- -single celled bacteria and archaea
- -have no nucleus*
- -found in eukaryotes
- -everything other than bacteria and archaea
- -have a nucleus*
earliest cells were...
DNA of eukaryotic cells
-contained within a nucleus
DNA of a prokaryotic cell
-not enclosed in a nucleus or other structure
features of eukaryotic cells
- -much bigger than prokaryotic cells
- -contain organelles, parts in a cell
- -contain a cytoskeleton
- -network of protein structures that give shape and organization to eukaryotic cells
- -attached to organelles
- -largest organelle in the cell
- - 3 parts
- - has pores but DNA never leaves because it can't
- -stores DNA
3 parts of nucleus
- -nuclear envelop
- -complex of proteins with DNA of the cell
- -arranged in chromosomes
-where ribosomes are put together
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview