The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is a sentence?
a sentence is a organization of items in the world.
A sentence is a structure of logical relationships
What is a noun?
A person, place or thing
What is a verb?
and action word
what is a pronoun
- word which substitutes a noun
- Sh*e saw h*im
- a kind of adjective used so often as to be given a special name
- The* students were instructed to sit at a* table
- structure word that governs a noun or pronoun, connecting it with another word or substantive
- They ran to* the house from* the car
a joining word
- an expression or feeling
- O, WOW *
word with no grammatical correlation
- describes a verb
- slowly, the very big load began to move
describes a noun
What are the six elements of a short story
- 1. Intro
- 2. Rising action
- 3. Climax
- 4. Falling action
- 5. Resolution
- 6. Conclusion
What is setting?
The time and place of a literal work
What might the setting include?
the climate, the social phychochological aof spiritual state of chareacters
What is point of view?
The perspective in which the story is told.
What are the two main kinds of point of view?
First person and third person
What is first person
- Narrator as major character
- Narrator as minor charactor
- ex. I watched it happen
What is third person?
- All knowing (seeing into all characters)
- seeing into one major character
- seeing into one minor character
- objective (not seeing into any character)
- ex. Jimmy thinks he is cool
What is a symbol
person, place or thing in a narrative that suggests meaning beyond its literal sense. A symbol can have many meanings and associations
An argument that is being made about a subject matter
- Big sibling
- Can stans alone as a sentence
- Makes sense by itself
- Contains a noun and adverb
- ex. Jack paid his bills.
- Little sibling
- Does not express a complete thought
- must be attached to a independent to complete meaning
- ex. Although i walked to school