Building MI Skills
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
adroit [uh-droit] adj.
- 1. Expert or nimble in the use of the hands or body.
- 2. Cleverly skillful, resourceful, or ingenious: an adroit debater.
- For an experienced MI provider, the amterial here iwll offer the chance to learn additional techniques and become more adroit in skills.
ballast [bal-uhst] Noun.
- 1. Anything that gives mental , moral, or political stability or steadiness: the ballast of a steady income.
- 2. Friends are ballast in my life and I am richly blessed to have... to keep me upright and headed in the right direction.
How do we know if MI is working?
Client response, whether increase change talk or increase resistance will tell us if we are practicing MI-consistent or MI-inconsistent techniques.
segue [seg- wA] Verb.
- 1. To make a transition directly from one section or theme to another.
- 2. This strategy allows you to seque naturally into the area you are working toward.
Four elements of MI
- 1. MI principles
- 2. OARS
- 3. Change talk
- 4. MI spirit.
Principles of MI (RULE)
What are the four principles of MI (Rollnick et al. 2008)?
- 1. R - Resist the righting reflex
- 2. U - Understand your client's motivation.
- 3. L - Listen to your client.
- 4. E - Empower your client.
2002 Principle of MI (DRES)
What are the four principles of MI (Miller and Rollnick 2002)?
- 1. Developing discrepancy.
- 2. Rolling with resistance.
- 3. Expressing empathy.
- 4. Supporting self-efficacy.
Four practicioner behavior that increases resistance:
- 1. Trying to convince clients that they have a problem.
- 2. Arguing for the benefits of change.
- 3. Telling clients how to change.
- 4. Warning them of the consequences of not changing.
What are the "fundamental and defining charactericstics" (Miller and Rollnick, 2002, p. 37) of MI?
1. Using the client-centered, empathic approach to working with people.
What one element that client, who have tried but failed to change need from practitioner?
1. To build hope and communicate that to clients by talking about other clients' successes.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview