Chapter5.txt

Card Set Information

Author:
rclark1
ID:
35024
Filename:
Chapter5.txt
Updated:
2010-09-15 20:47:38
Tags:
Chapter terms
Folders:

Description:
Chapter 5 Key Terms (2)
Show Answers:

Home > Flashcards > Print Preview

The flashcards below were created by user rclark1 on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?


  1. THREE MAJOR TYPES OF BLOOD VESSELS
    • ARTERIES
    • CAPILLARIES
    • VEINS
  2. ARTERIES
    LARGE BLOOD VESSELS THAT CARRY BLOOD AWAY FROM THE HEART TO ALL REGIONS OF THE BODY
  3. ENDARTERIAL
    PERTAINING TO THE INNER PORTION OF AN ARTERY WITHIN AN ARTERY
  4. AORTA
    LARGEST BLOOD VESSEL IN THE BODY, THE MAIN TRUNK OF THE ARTERIAL SYSTEM AND BEGINS FROM THE LEFT VENTRICLE OF THE HEART
  5. CAROTID ARTERIES
    THE MAJOR ARTERIES THAT CARRY BLOOD UPWARD TO THE HEAD. ANY DISRUPTION IN THIS FLOW OF BLOOD CAN RESULT IN A STROKE OR OTHER BRAIN DAMAGE
  6. ARTERIOLES
    THE SMALLER, THINNER BRANCHES OF ARTERIES THAT CARRY BLOOD TO THE CAPILLARIES
  7. VEINS
    • FORM A LOW-PRESSURE COLLECTING SYSTEM TO RETURN OXYGEN-POOR BLOOD TO THE HEART
    • - WALLS OF THE VEINS ARE THINNER AND LESS ELASTIC THAN THOSE OF ARTERIES
    • - HAVE VALVES THAT ENABLE BLOOD TO FLOW ONLY TOWARD THE HEART AND PREVENT IT FROM FLOWING AWAY FROM THE HEART
  8. VENULES
    SMALLEST VEINS THAT JOIN TO FORM THE LARGER VEINS
  9. VENAE CAVAE
    THE TWO LARGEST VEINS IN THE BODY. THESE ARE THE VEINS THAT RETURN BLOOD INTO THE HEART.
  10. SUPERIOR VENA CAVA
    TRANSPORTS BLOOD FROM THE UPPER PORTION OF THE BODY TO THE HEART
  11. INFERIOR VENA CAVA
    TRANSPORTS BLOOD FROM THE LOWER PORTION OF THE BODY TO THE HEART
  12. CAPILLARIES
    SMALLEST BLOOD VESSELS IN THE BODY. THEY FORM NETWORKS OF EXPANDED VASCULAR BEDS THAT HAVE THE IMPORTANT ROLE OF DELIVERING OXYGEN AND NUTRIENTS TO THE CELLS OF THE TISSUES.
  13. PULSE
    THE RYTHMIC PRESSURE AGAINST THE WALLS OF AN ARTERY CAUSED BY THE CONTRACTION OF THE HEART
  14. BLOOD PRESSURE
    THE MEASUREMENT OF THE AMOUNT OF SYSTOLIC AND DIASTOLIC PRESSURE EXERTED AGAINST THE WALLS OF THE ARTERIES
  15. SYSTOLIC PRESSURE
    OCCURS WHEN THE VENTRICLES CONTRACT, IS THE HIGHEST PRESSURE AGAINST THE WALLS OF THE ARTERY
  16. SYSTOLE
    CONTRACTION OF THE HEART
  17. DIASTOLIC PRESSURE
    OCCURS WHEN THE VENTRICLES ARE RELAXED, IS THE LOWEST PRESSURE AGAINST THE WALLS OF THE ARTERY
  18. DIASTOLE
    RELAXATION OF THE HEART
  19. BLOOD
    THE FLUID TISSUE IN THE BODY. COMPRISED OF 55% LIQUID PLASMA AND 45% FORMED ELEMENTS.
  20. PLASMA
    A STRAW-COLORED FLUID THAT CONTAINS NUTRIENTS, HORMONES, AND WASTE PRODUCTS. PLASMA IS 91% WATER AND THE REMAINING 9% CONSISTS MAINLY OF PROTEINS, INCLUDING THE CLOTTING PROTEINS.
  21. FIBRINOGEN AND PROTHROMBIN
    THE CLOTTING PROTEINS FOUND IN PLASMA. THEY HAVE AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN CLOT FORMATION TO CONTROL BLEEDING.
  22. SERUM
    IS PLASMA FLUID AFTER THE BLOOD CELLS AND THE CLOTTING PROTEINS HAVE BEEN REMOVED.

What would you like to do?

Home > Flashcards > Print Preview