The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- A person, company, etc., against whom a claim orcharge is brought in a court ( opposed to plaintiff).
- Tom Robinson was the defendant in To Kill a Mockingbird.
- To envy or resent the pleasure or good fortune of (someone):
- She begrudged her friend the award.
- Unmindful; unconscious; unaware (usually fol. by of or to )
- She was oblivious of his admiration.
- Agreement or consent by silence or without objection;compliance (usually fol. by to or in )
- Acquiescence to his boss's demands.
- To impede or hinder; hamper; retard.
- Mother always encumbers our actions; she says to finish homework first.
- To drive off in various directions; disperse; dissipate
- He dispelled the pigeons.
- To yield to an inclination or desire; allow oneself to followone's will (often fol. by in )
- They indulged in unbelievable shopping sprees.
- Having or showing pleasant, good-natured personal qualities;affable
- He amiably helped the old woman across the street.
- Pleased, esp. with oneself or one's merits, advantages,situation, etc., often without awareness of some potential danger or defect; self-satisfied
- She complacently turned in her essay; she felt she did a good job.