Chemistry Chapter 3
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What does the periodic table help us do?
helps us to understand the behavior, reactions, and properties of the element; gives the Atomic number
Information found on the periodic table
atomic number, name of element, atomic mass, and elemental symbol
Some properties of metals
- Lustrous, malleable and ductile
- conductors of heat and electricity
- all are solids at room temp. except for Mercury
- Will lose electrons when reaction w/ non-metals
Some properties of non- metals
- they are poor conductors of heat and electricity
- many exist as diatomic molecules
- they will gain an electron when reacting w/ metals but will share when reacting w/ other non- metals
- all states phsyical states are observed at room temp.
- may act as a metal or nonmetal
- depend on what they want to react w/
- these elements have variable chemical properties
- they act lilke non- metals when they react w/ metals
- they act like metals when they react w/ non metals
- these materials also have semi- conduction properties
How are representative, transition, and inner- transition elements determined?
elements are classified according to the type of distingushing electron (the last electron that enters the outer most shell) they contain
Groups go ______ on the periodic table
up and down
Periods go ______ on the periodic table
side to side
Common names for group 1
alkali metals; sodium family
Common names for group 2
alkali earth metals; calcium family
Common names for Group 7
Halogens; salt producers
Common name for group 8
Noble Gases; have 8 electrons in outer shell
- we can view atoms as being a series of layers with only a certain # of electrons on each layer
- Bohr came up with the model
- start close to nucleus and go outward
this is where most chemical reactions occur
not much happens here under normal conditions
What are the names of the 4 subshells?
s, p, d, and f
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview