- Route/Dosage (Adult): PO Anti-inflammitory-400-800 mg 3-4/day (up to 3200 mg/day). Analgesic/antidysmenorrheal/antipyretic
- -200-400 mg q 4-6 hrs (not to exceed 1200 mg/day). IV Analgesic-400-800 mg q 6hr (not exceed 3200 mg/day), Antipyretic-400 mg q 4-6hr/ 100-200 q 4hr (not exceed 3200 mg/day)
- Classification: antipyretics, antirheumatics, nonopioid analgesics, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents;
- Action: treatment of mild-moderate pain/fever. Reduces pain/inflammation/fever
- Side Effects: Headache, GI BLEEDING, HEPATITIS, ANAPHYLAXIS, DERM PROBLEMS, anemia Nursing Implication: Assess for rhinitis, asthma, urticaria, skin rash, pain lvl, ROM. May cause prolonged bleeding. Ensure pt. well hydrated
- Patient/Family Teaching: Advise pt. to take w/ full glass of water and remain in upright position for 15-30 min. May cause drowsiness/dizziness. Avoid concurrent use of alcohol (GI bleeding), ASA, ACE. Do not take > 10 days for pain, >3 days for fever.