Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What items must be inspected for a safety test before each trip?
- 1. Brake Lights
- 2. Turn Signals
- 3. Emergency Flashers
- 4. Horn
- 5. Splash Guards (if necessary)
- 6. Complete Air Brake Test
Test Criteria: Engine Oil Check
Identifies the oil dipstick and describes how to check the oil to see if it is in the safe operating range.
Test Criteria: Engine Coolant Level
Identifies the sight glass, reservoir, or radiator and describes how to check the coolant level to see if it is in the safe operating range.
Test Criteria: Power Steering Fluid/Belt
Identifies the power steering dipstick and describes how to check the fluid level to see if it is in the safe operating range.
Identifies the belt that drives the power steering unit. Notes that the belt is not frayed, has no visible cracks, loose fibers, or signs of wear.
Test Criteria: Water Pump Belt
Identifies the belt that drives the water pump. Notes that the Belt is not frayed, has no visible cracks, loose fibers, or signs of wear.
Test Criteria: Alternator Belt
Identifies the belt that drives the alternator or generator. Notes that the belt is not frayed, has no visible cracks, loose fibers, or signs of wear.
Test Criteria: Air Compressor Belt
Identifies the belt that drives the air compressor. Notes that the belt is not frayed, has no visible cracks, loose fibers, or signs of wear.
Test Criteria: Leaks/Hoses
Checks for puddles or dripping fluids on the ground under the engine.
Describes how to check hoses for wear and leaks.
Test Criteria: Transmission Gearshift
Place in neutral or park position.
Test Criteria: Temperature Gauge
Checks that the temperature gauge is working. Temperature should begin to climb to the normal operating range or temperature light should be off.
Test Criteria: Oil Pressure
Checks that oil pressure is building to normal. Gauge (if present) shows increasing or normal oil pressure or warning light goes off.
Test Criteria: Ammeter/Voltmeter
Checks that gauge(s) show alternator or generator is charging or warning light is off.
Test Criteria: Air Brake Check (COLA)
- Low Air Warning Device
- Low-pressure warning device activates between 55 and 75 psi.
- Air Governor:
- Air compressor cuts in no lower than 85 psi/min.
- Air compressor cuts out at 130 psi/max. (Normal acceptable cut out range from 110 to 120 psi).
- Air Leakage:
- With engine off and service brake applied and all other brakes released, the pressure loss is no greater than 3 psi per minute for a single vehicle or 4 psi for a combination.
Test Criteria: Steering Play
For power steering, with engine running, turns steering wheel back and forth and sees that there should not be more than five to ten degrees of free play (approximately two inches at the rim of a 20-inch steering wheel).
Test Criteria: Parking Brake
Demonstrates that parking and/or emergency brake either brings the vehicle to a stop or holds vehicle in place by.
- Driving forward or backwards and setting emergency and/or parking brake.
Setting emergency and/or parking brake and trying to move vehicle.
Test Criteria: Mirrors/Windshield
Checks for proper adjustment of mirrors. Checks windshield to make sure it is clear and has no illegal stickers, obstructions, or damage to the glass. Checks that visibility is not impaired due to dirty mirrors.
Test Criteria: Wipers/Washers
Checks that wiper arms and blades are secure, not damaged, and operate smoothly.
Test Criteria: Lighting Indicators (L-R-4-H)
- Checks that (dash) indicators for turn signals, flashers, and headlight high beams illuminate when corresponding lights are turned on.
- NOTE: Passing is if the driver identifies and checks three out of the four items
Test Criteria: Horn
Checks that air horn and/or electric horn(s) work.
Test Criteria: Heater/Defroster
Checks that the heater(s)/defroster(s) work.
Test Criteria: Safety Belt/Emergency Equipment
- Checks for properly secured, mounted, and adjusted safety belts.
- Identifies the locations of spare electrical fuses (if used).
- Identifies the location of a properly charged and rated fire extinguisher.
- Identifies location of three red reflective triangles.
Test Criteria: Lighting
Checks that all lights (e.g., headlights [high and low beams], turn signals, clearance, identification) on the front of the vehicle are clean and working.
Test Criteria: Steering Box/Hoses
- Checks that the steering box is securely mounted and not leaking.
- Checks for any missing nuts, bolts, and cotter pins.
- Checks for power steering fluid leaks or damage to power steering hoses.
Test Criteria: Steering Linkage
Checks that connecting links, arms, and rods from the steering box to the wheel are not worn or cracked.
Checks that joints and sockets are not worn or loose.
Checks for loose or missing nuts, bolts, or cotter pins.