The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
considerations in choosing the right word:
- levels of formality,specificity, and complexity
- tone of the word
- multiple meanings
- sound, rhythm, rhyme
- no unnesscessary, overused, or slang words
keys to good paragraphs:
- unity: only one general topic
- coherence: logical order for details and commentary
- balance: concrete details with commentary (1 to 2)
- focus: details at same level of specificity
What is the difference between poetry and prose?
Poetry is written in stanzas, and prose is written in paragraphs, but the lines are blurry between them. You can have poetic prose and proseaic poetry.
What is a parody?
something that makes fun of something by copying it in an exaggerated way
What is logical reasoning?
conciously drawing conclusions according to rules
What are three strategies to persuasive writing?
- logos (logical)
- pathos (emotional)
- ethos (credibility)