Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Why Study Organizational Behavior?
-groups of people who work interdependently towards some purpose
- --structured patterns of interaction
- --coordinated tasks
- --have common objectives (even if not fully agreed)
- the study of what people think, feel and do in and around organizations
-- combines, sociology, psychology, cultural, anthropology and business economics
- ideas about behavior we believe to be true.
Trends of Organizational Behaviors (OB) : Globalization
- economic, social and cultural connectivity with people throughout the world.
- - effects of globalization on organizations:
- -- new organizational structures
- --different forms of communication
- --more diverse workforce
- --more competition, mergers, work intensification and demands for work flexibility
Trends in OB: Changing Workforce
- -workforce has increasing diversity along several dimensions
- -primary categories
- -- gender, age, ethnicity, etc.
- -secondary categories
- -- education, marital status, etc.
- -Current trends
- --increased racial and ethnic diversity
- --more women in workforce
- --generational diversity
- --new age cohorts (e.g., gen-x,gen-y, 65+ not retired)
- -- leverage diversity advantage
- -- adjust to the new workforce
- --how do you effectively manage someone like me?
Work- Life balance
- - Number one indicator of career success
- - priority for many young people looking for new jobs
Continued employment determined by adding value.
no contract for long-term employment; employment contingent on need at given point in time.
Trends in OB: Virtual Work
using information technology to perform one's job away from the traditional physical workplace.
Working from home with internet connectivity to office
operate across space, time, and physical boundaries with colleagues who communicate mainly through electronic technologies
Any structured activity that improves an organization's capacity to acquire, share, and use knowledge for its survival and success