Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Sulfonamide drug names?
- sulfisoxazole (gantrisin)
- trimethoprim/ sulfamethoxazole (bactrim, septra)
- silver sulfadiazine (silvadene)
sulfonamide drug action?
- UTI, otitis media, ulcerative colitis (azulfidine), sever skin burn (silvadene)
sulfonamide drug adverse reactions?
and drug interactions?
skin rash, photosensitivity, ctystalluria, orange urine
decrease effect of digoxin, oral contraceptives, increase effect of coumadin
increase fluid to two L a day to avoid crystalluria, avoid sunlight, take all antibiotic
- (made from mold, narrow-spectrum)
- penicillin G (IM)
- penicillin V (PO)
- ampicillin (omnipen) IV, IM
- amoxicillin (amoxil) IM, IV, PO
penicillin drug action?
resp infections, syphilis, meningitis, osteomyelitis (bone infect), necrotizing fascitis, prevents endocarditis
penicillin adverse reactions?
hypersensitivity reactions; hives, itching, wheezing, anaphylactic shock
superinfections, diarrhea, oral thrush, vaginal infections, hematopoietic changes (decrease cell count)
Never take with soda of fruit juice
parenteral PCN may come as a powder and you must dilute, give deep IM to avoid pain
Cephalosporins (broad-spectrum, from fungus, chemically related to PCN) 1st gen ?
- cephalexin (keflex)
- cefazolin (ancef, kefzol)
best against; streptococcus, staphylococcus GM+
2ond generation cephalosporins?
- cefaclor (ceclor)
- cefoxitin (mefoxin)
Best against; E. coli, klebsiella GM-
cephalosporin 3rd generation?
- cefoperazone (cefobid)
- ceftriaxone (rocephin)
- best against; goncoccus, enerobacter GM-
cephalosporin drug actions and indications?
- treats; skin, bone, and joint infections, ear and resp infections, gonorrhea
cephalosporin drug contraindications?
if allergy to PCN probably allergic
hypersensitivity reactions, superinfections, hematopoietic changes, severe skin rash(stevens johnson syndrome)
cephalosprin drug interactions? and NI?
no alchol, may cause false positive test for urine glucose using clinitest
give deep IM, take entire antibiotic