Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Psychological, behavioral, and physiological episodes experienced toward an object, person, or event that create a state of readiness.
L: Its feelings we direct towards objects and ppl
Involuntary and put ppl in the state of readiness.
Slide 51 Pg. 105
A cluster of beliefs and feelings that result in a potential behavioral intention
, or likelihood to act in a given way (e.g., positive attitude toward work)
- L: It is what we bring to the table before we behave. Positive/Negative
- Ex: Someone picking up the other end of the phone line.
Involves logical thinking and is more stable . How you are presenting yourself as an individual. Your handshake conveys attitude.
Influence of positive work environment
- 1. More employee productivity
- 2. Successful companies actively create more positive emotional workplace experience
- 3. Higher profitability, quality and customer service and Higher employee retention
Why would a company want to create a positive workplace environment?
- Higher profitability
- Better quality
- Better customer service
- Higher employee retention
Can you create a positive cultural environment?
Ex: Southwest Airlines.
Define Cognitive Dissonance
- Where you have 2 ideas that are not in harmony or are inconsistent.
- Ex: Smoking
- Cognitive - Mind
- Dissonance - Disharmony, inconsistent
Slide 55 pg. 109
How do you deal with Cognitive Dissonance?
Ex: Smoker, Buyers Remorse
Rationalize your behavior towards the direction you want it to go by downgrading undesirable beliefs.
Our minds do not like dissonance.
Define Emotional Intelligence - Concept
- Our ability to understand emotions w/in ourselves
- Manage emotions w/in ourselves
- Understand and manage them in others.
Ability to perceive and express emotion, within ourselves and others
**Understand and reason with emotion & regulating emotion in oneself
- set of competencies
- learned, especially through coaching
- increases with age + experience
4 dimensions of Emotional Intelligence
- Relationship Management - Managing others emotion
- Social Awareness - understanding others
- Self Management - controlling ur emotions
- Self Awareness - understanding yourself
Job Satisfaction & Customers
increases customer satisfaction and profitability
- Job satisfaction affects mood, leading to positive behaviors toward customers
- Less employee turnover, resulting in more consistent and familiar service
Slide 60 pg. 117
credibility, respect, fairness, pride + camaraderie
Gallup Q12 uses 12 statements to gauge how engaged or committed an employee is
Great Place to Work Survey
- Great Place to Work (GPTW) survey uses 56 statements to gauge satisfaction + engagement, which are broken down into 5 dimensions:
- credibility, respect, fairness, pride + camaraderie
- Fortune magazine annually uses GPTW survey to identify the 100 Best Places to Work in the U.S. and also, internationally
- Job Content
- Working conditions
- Pay and Benefits
- Career progress
- A person's evaluation of his or her job and work context
- A collection of attitudes re. specific facets of the job
- Satisfaction + engagement can be different dynamics
- Happy workers often more productive
- Emotional attachment organization
- Belief that staying with the organization serves your personal interests - working for a Green company
- Strong relationship with engagement
Beliefs about reciprocal agreements and mutual obligations between two parties (including company-employee)
- Psychological Contracts vary across cultures
- Employees in Sweden expect more involvement in workplace decisions
- Psychological Contracts vary across generations
- Baby boomers -- believe loyalty enhances job security
- Gen-X/Gen-Y -- assumes adding value = job security