The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Psychological, behavioral, and physiological episodes experienced toward an object, person, or event that create a state of readiness.
L: Its feelings we direct towards objects and ppl
Involuntary and put ppl in the state of readiness.
Slide 51 Pg. 105
A cluster of beliefs and feelings that result in a potential behavioral intention
, or likelihood to act in a given way (e.g., positive attitude toward work)
- L: It is what we bring to the table before we behave. Positive/Negative
- Ex: Someone picking up the other end of the phone line.
Involves logical thinking and is more stable . How you are presenting yourself as an individual. Your handshake conveys attitude.
Influence of positive work environment
- 1. More employee productivity
- 2. Successful companies actively create more positive emotional workplace experience
- 3. Higher profitability, quality and customer service and Higher employee retention
Why would a company want to create a positive workplace environment?
- Higher profitability
- Better quality
- Better customer service
- Higher employee retention
Can you create a positive cultural environment?
Ex: Southwest Airlines.
Define Cognitive Dissonance
- Where you have 2 ideas that are not in harmony or are inconsistent.
- Ex: Smoking
- Cognitive - Mind
- Dissonance - Disharmony, inconsistent
Slide 55 pg. 109
How do you deal with Cognitive Dissonance?
Ex: Smoker, Buyers Remorse
Rationalize your behavior towards the direction you want it to go by downgrading undesirable beliefs.
Our minds do not like dissonance.
Define Emotional Intelligence - Concept
- Our ability to understand emotions w/in ourselves
- Manage emotions w/in ourselves
- Understand and manage them in others.
Ability to perceive and express emotion, within ourselves and others
**Understand and reason with emotion & regulating emotion in oneself
- set of competencies
- learned, especially through coaching
- increases with age + experience
4 dimensions of Emotional Intelligence
- Relationship Management - Managing others emotion
- Social Awareness - understanding others
- Self Management - controlling ur emotions
- Self Awareness - understanding yourself
Job Satisfaction & Customers
increases customer satisfaction and profitability
- Job satisfaction affects mood, leading to positive behaviors toward customers
- Less employee turnover, resulting in more consistent and familiar service
Slide 60 pg. 117
credibility, respect, fairness, pride + camaraderie
Gallup Q12 uses 12 statements to gauge how engaged or committed an employee is
Great Place to Work Survey
- Great Place to Work (GPTW) survey uses 56 statements to gauge satisfaction + engagement, which are broken down into 5 dimensions:
- credibility, respect, fairness, pride + camaraderie
- Fortune magazine annually uses GPTW survey to identify the 100 Best Places to Work in the U.S. and also, internationally
- Job Content
- Working conditions
- Pay and Benefits
- Career progress
- A person's evaluation of his or her job and work context
- A collection of attitudes re. specific facets of the job
- Satisfaction + engagement can be different dynamics
- Happy workers often more productive
- Emotional attachment organization
- Belief that staying with the organization serves your personal interests - working for a Green company
- Strong relationship with engagement
Beliefs about reciprocal agreements and mutual obligations between two parties (including company-employee)
- Psychological Contracts vary across cultures
- Employees in Sweden expect more involvement in workplace decisions
- Psychological Contracts vary across generations
- Baby boomers -- believe loyalty enhances job security
- Gen-X/Gen-Y -- assumes adding value = job security