The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is the dentin-pulp complex?
unexposed inner portion of tooth that come from undifferentiated mesenchymal cells
What is the composition of dentin and pulp?
- 70% inorganic material
- 20% organic material
- 10% water
what portion makes up the bulk of the tooth?
dentin made up of smaller crystals than enamel
true or false. dentin is avascular
what is the main function of the dentin?
protects the pulp
what is the initial material laid down by the odontoblasts?
process of dentin matrix formation
what stages occur in the apposition of dentin?
- predentin formation by odontoblasts
what are the two stages of maturation of dentin?
- primary mineralization
- secondary mineralization
long tube in dentin-extends from DEJ into pulp. this is allows sense to come from the surface of the tooth into the pulp
what is contained in the dentinal tubules?
dentinal fluid, odontoblastic process, and afferent (sensory) axon
name and describe the 7 different types of dentin:
- peritubular dentin: wall of tubules, highly calcified
- intertubular dentin: between the tubules, highly calcified
- mantle dentin: outermost layer, first dentin formed
- circumpulpal dentin: layer around outer pulpal wall, formed after mantle dentin
- primary dentin: formed befoer completion of aical foramen, formed more rapidly and more mineralized
- secondary dentin: formed after completion of apical foramen, formed slower and is less mineralized than primary
- tertiary dentin: formed as a result of injury
what is the main functions of the pulp?
- support and maintain formation of dentin
- sensory functions
- nutritional supply to tooth
- protective to tooth by reacting with inflammatory and immune responses when something goes wrong
what are accessory canals? and how do they form?
- extra canals usually on the lateral portions of the roots of some teeth
- form when hertwig's sheath encounters a blood vessel during root formation. the root structure than forms around the vessel
the largest group of cells in the pulp
2nd largest group of cells in the pulp, only the cell bodys of these exist in the pulp
odontoblasts (with no odontoblastic process)