The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What materials are necessary to build a battery?
- electrolyte solution
- zinc and copper
How does a battery work?
- 1. Zinc dissolves in electrolyte solution, leaving behind some electrons. This becomes the negative terminal.
- 2. Electrons from copper are attracted by the positive zinc ions.
- 3. The copper is slightly charged, becoming the positive terminal.
- 4. Connecting the negatively charged zinc to the positively charged copper lets electrons flow.
How does a regular switch work?
- a switch is a mechanism which causes 2 pieces of metal to touch or not touch.
- When the metal is touching, the switch is closed.
- When the 2 pieces of metal are not touching, the switch is open.
What is a semiconductor?
Something that conducts electricity but not very well
How does a dimmer switch work?
A dimmer switch uses semiconductors to allow more or less electricity to reach the light
What are some differences between series and parallel circuits?
when a part of a series circuit stops working, the whole thing stops working; in a parallel circuit, if one part stops working, the rest continues working
a series circuit is only one circuit but a parallel is many series connected to one power source
What happens in a circuit if two or more batteries are placed end to end?
the light will shine brighter (if it is negative to positive)
What happens if the batteries are placed side by side?
nothing will turn on
What is a short circuit?
a short circuit is when electricity finds a shorter way for electricity to flow from negative to positive terminal without passing through the load
What is a fuse?
circuit breakers and fuses are weak links so that when too much electricity flows through the circuit, it breaks