HISTORY 101, EXAM 1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
PACIFIC NORTHWEST: WHAT WAS THE ROLE OF SALMON AND OTHER ANIMALS?
Served vital in trade economy
PACIFIC NORTHWEST: WHAT ROLEOF ANCESTORS AND CLANS?
- Kin groups were important
- Clan affiliations were important to determining status.
THE CHUMASH: WHAT WERE THE FOOD PATTERNS, TRADE PATTERNS, THE ROLE OF OCEAN GOING CONOE, AND ASTRONOMY?
- Food patterns- hunters and gatherers
- -> Trade allowed communication with other societies
- --> Had great wood working skills, used conoes to fish
- --->Had immense knowledge of astronomy
WHAT WAS THE MAJOR CULTURAL ACHIEVEMENT OF THE ANASAZI
Perfected village life, sharing resources community surviving together
WHAT WAS THE NATURE OF THE CAHOKIAN SOCIETY?
-THE ROLE OF MOUNDS AND TRADE?
- For 900 years, the mound builders dominated the valley.
- Had a stratified social system of hierarchies--"chiefdoms"
- They used rivers as trade and transport routes.
SOUTH EASTERN: TYPES OF TRIBAL DISTINCTIONS AND COMPLEXITIES
- South Atlantic slope= foraging Indians
- CHEROKEE- small valleys= farming
- CATAWA- named at the time of contact
- -->All adaptions very different.--->South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia----> Groups changing drastically over time
- -----> MOST POLITICALLY COMPLEX GROUPS
NORTHEASTERN- ROLE OF THE LONGHOUSE
Longhouses were communal housing units and religious ceremonial buildings
NORTHEASTERN- WHAT WAS THE RELATIONSHIP OF THE ALGONQUINS and IROQUOIS?
They formed the "Confederation of Five Leagues" that served as a form of democracy that influenced Europeans
NORTHEAST- WHAT WAS THE ROLE OF WOMEN?
- More equalitarian treatment of women
- They cultivated crops and had children. Givers of life.
NORTHEAST- WHAT WAS THE POLITICAL STRUCTURE?
- Had a form of democracy that influenced the Europeans
- Complex economies
- Formed a confederation
WHAT WAS THE NATURE OF INDIAN SOCIETIES IN 1492?
- There were 500 Native American societies before Columbus
- -> Complex politics and complex economies
- --> Had relationships with the environment
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview