Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- deviating from the norm; adj (noun form: aberration)
- aberrant behavior can be a sign of rabies in a wild animals.
- eager and enthusiastic willingness ;noun
- She accepted the invitation with an alacrity that surprised me.
deviation from the normal order, form or rule, abnornmality; noun (adj form: anomalous)
- an expression opf approval or praise ; noun
- Miss Burdock, to whom I told my affair, expressed the strongest approbation
- strenuous, taxing ; requiring significant effort ;adj
- He went through a long and arduous training program
- to ease or lessen ; to appease or pacify ; verb
- He couldn't assuage his guilt over the divorce
- daring and fearless; recklessly bold ;adj (noun form; audacity)
- She made an audacious decision to quit her job
- without adornment; bare ; severly simple , ascetic ; adj(noun form: austerity)
- They lived an austere life in the country
- taken as a given, possing self-evident truth ;adj (noun form:axion)
- It is axiomatic that good athletes have a strong mental attitude.
following or in agreement with accepted, traditional standards ; adj (noun form: canon)
- inclined to change one's mind impulsively ; erratic, unpredictable ;adj
- The court ruled that the punishment was arbitrary and capricious
- to criticize severly; to officially rebuke ; verb
- The country faces international censure for its alleged involvement in the assassination
- trickery or subterfuge ; noun
- He wasn't above using chicanery to win votes.
- 1. Deceit used in order to achieve one's goal
- 2. A statement or action resorted to in order to deceive.
- The Japanese's subterfuge in World War II caused the Americans to lose the battle
an informed and astute judge in matters of taste ; expert ; noun
- Having or showing an ability to accurately assess situations or people and turn this to one's advantage; shrewd ; adj
- an astute businessman
- complex or complicated ; adj
- a convoluted way of describing a simple device
- 1. Persuade (someone) that an idea or belief is mistaken
- 2. to undecieve, to set right ; verb
- he quickly disabused me of my belief
- 1.Disagreeing or incongruous.
- 2. Characterized by quarreling and conflict adj
- She has the difficult task of bringing together a number of discordant elements.
- Not in harmony or keeping with the surroundings or other aspects of something; not in place. adj
- a joke that was incongruous with polite conversation
- fundamentally distict or dissimilar; adj
- A bilingual blog on disparate subjects
extreme boldness; presumptuosness ;noun
She had the effrontery to ask for two free samples
- 1. Leave hurriedly and secretly, typically to avoid detection or arrest.
- 2. (of someone on bail) Fail to surrender oneself for custody at the appointed time
- Several prisoners absconded from the jail
- In a secret or covert manner.
- In an illicit way, i.e. not permitted by the law or regulations
- well spoken, expressive , articulate ; adj (noun form : eloquence)
- an eloquent preacher
- Verb: Cause (someone) to feel drained of energy.
- Adjective: Lacking in energy or vitality.
- dissatisfactiona nd restlessness resulting from boredom or apathy ; verb
- the kind of ennui that comes from having too much time on one's hands and too little will to find something productive to do
Use ambiguous language so as to conceal the truth or avoid committing oneself.; verb (adj form : equivocal)
- very learned , scholarly ;adj (noun form: erudition)
- an erudite professour
to clear of blame, exonerate ; verb
- urgent, pressing ; requiring immmediate action or attention ; adj
- started his workday with a flood of exigent matters that required his quick decision
- Spoken or done without preparation; improvised ; adj
- caught by surprise, I had to make an extemporaneous speech at the awards banque
- intentional obstruction , esp . using prolonged speechmaking to delay lagislative action (noun)
- They engaged in a filibuster that lasted for over a week.
- to loudly attack or denounce ;verb
- She was fulminating about the dangers of smoking.
artless; frank and candid; lacking in sophistication; adj
- 1. (of a person) Easily made angry.
- 2. Characterized by or arising from anger
- an irascible old football coach
to praise highly ; verb (adj form laudatory)
- clear, easily understood; adj
- a lucid explanation
the quality of being generously noble in mind and heart, esp. in forgiving (adj form magnanimous)
- Associated with war and the armed forces
- martial heroes
- of the world; typical of or concerned with the ordinary ; adj
- They lead a pretty mundane life.
- coming or having recently come into existence ;adj
- The actress is now focusing on her nascent singing career
- Vague; cloudy ; lacking clearly defined form ;adj
- These philosophical concepts can be nebulous.
- a new word, usage, or expression
- the creation or use of new words or senses ; noun
- Harmful, poisonous, or very unpleasant:
- they were overcome by the noxious fumes.
- lacking sharpness of intellect; not clear or precise in thought or expression; adj
- He is too obtuse to take a hint.
- to anticipate and prevent (as a situation) or make unnecessary (as an action)
- The new treatment obviates many of the risks associated with surgery
- troubling ; burdensome ; adj
- The government imposed onerous taxes on import
- An expression of praise, joy, or triumph, traditionally in the form of a song
- "I'm supposed to write a paean to Spring for my creative writing course, but all this rain just makes me depressed and uninspired," sighed Jessica.
a humourous imitation intented for ridicule or comic effect, esp. in literature and art ; noun
recurrent through the year or many years; happening repeatedly