- A value is a strongly held and enduring belief. The following four basic values strongly influence attitudes and lifestyles:
- - Self-sufficiency: Every person should stand on his or her own two feet.
- - Upward mobility: Success would come to anyone who got an education, worked hard, and played by the rules.
- - Work ethic: Hard work, dedication to family, and frugality were moral and right.
- - Conformity: No one should expect to be treated differently from everyone else.
A person's value are typically formed through interaction with family, friends, and other influencers such as teachers, religious leaders, and politicians.
Values also influence our buying habits. Today's consumers are demanding, inquisitive, and discriminating.