The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Mechanism of Action
- Stimulates Beta-2 adrenergic receptors increasing bronchodilation.
- Stimulates adenyl cyclase which transforms into cAMP. cAMP causes relaxation of bronchial smooth muscles.
- In therapeutic doses albuterol also inhibits histamine release from mast cells reducing mucus secretion.
- Patients with reversible obstructive airway disease
- Consider monitoring peak expiratory flow rates (PEFR)
- Monitor vitals and respiratory status
Tremors, anxiety, HTN, tachycardia, headache, palpitations, seizures, N/V, dizziness, rash
- Other sympathomimetic bronchodilators
- Use with caution in patients on MAOIs and TCAs. Potentiation
Dosage and Route
- Adult: 2.5 mg in 3 mL NS via aerosol nebulizer prn
- Pedi: 0.15 mg/kg in 2.5-3 mL NS via aerosol nebulizer prn