Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What does "Waldeyer's Ring" describe?
The ring in the oropharynx, comprising the three tonsils.
Which of the three types of tonsils are the largest?
Why are the palantine tonsils frequently infected?
Seromucuous salivary glands lie beneath the capsule but do not extend into the crypts (note: crypts do not extend all of the way to the base of the tonsil). Lack of flushing out of the crypt may account of the tendency of these tonsils to become inflammed (germinal centers are activated --> become inflammed and swollen :()
Name three unique details about the pharyngeal tonsil.
- - It surrounds the eustacian tubes
- - It has diffuse lymph tissue rather than nodules
- - It has NO CRYPTS
Which two tonsil types have underlying seromucous salivary glands?
Palantine & phayngeal
True or false. Pharyngeal tonsil have numerous crypts that are flushed by salivary glands.
False. The pharyngeal tonsils do NOT have crypts, but the tissue is thrown into FOLDS; underlying seromucous salivary glands drain/wash surface of the tonsil.
What type of salivary gland underlies the lingual tonsils?
Mucous salivary glands
Contrast oral epithelium to respiratory epithelium.
Describe which type you'd find on the surface of the palantine, pharyngeal, and lingual tonsils.
- Oral epithelium: stratified squamous epithelium
- Resp epithelium: pseudostratified columnar w cilia
- Palantine - oral epi
- Pharyngeal - resp epi
- Lingual - oral epi
What keeps the lingual tonsils relatively free of bacteria and foreign/cellular debris?
Salivary glands empty into multiple, non-branching crypts. (slide 39)
Describe where one would find each type of tonsil.
- Pharyngeal: (aka: adenoid) a single tonsil, located at midline in posterior wall of superior portion of nasopharynx.
- Palatine: adjacent to posterior molars
- Sublingual: below base of the tongue (slide 29). She also calls these "Lingual tonsils" and identifies them as located in posterior 1/3 of tongue (slide 39)
True or false: Palantine tonsils have both primary and secondard crypts.
True. (slide 33)
True or false: The tonsils PRODUCE lymphocytes to protect the body from inhaled or ingested foreign microorganisms.
True. (slide 29)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview