The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is communication competence?
Ability to get your point across by maintaing or enhancing your relationship with the other person.
List the general guidelines to be a competent communicator.
- 1. Ability to use wide range of behaviors.
- 2. Ability to choose the most appropriate behavior.
- 3. Skill at performing these behaviors.
- 4. Cognitive complexity.
- 5. Self-monitoring.
- 6. Commitment.
What are the stages you go through when learning a new skill?
Being aware, awkward, consciously skilled, and integrated.
What is perception checking?
A tool to interpret another's behavior without commiting offense to the other person.
What are the components of perception checking?
- 1. Description of the behavior you notice.
- 2. At least two possible interpretations of the behavior
- 3. A request for clarification about how to interpret the behavior.
Components of empathy?
Perspective taking, emotional, and concern.
What is the difference between empathy and sympathy?
Empathy doesn't always include feelings. It only gives you a personal sense of the situation.
What is the pillow method?
- Used to build empathy. It consists of 4 positions:
- 1. I'm right, you're wrong.
- 2. You're right, I'm wrong.
- 3. Both right, both wrong.
- 4. The issue isn't important
- as it seems.
- 5. There's truth in all persepectives.
What are three approaches to paraphrasing statements?
- 1. Use your words.
- 2. Offer an example, to clarify
- 3. Summarize the theme of the other person's comment.
What is paraphrasing?
Tool to reword the speaker's message without changing/adding anything new to it.